5.0 out of 5 stars it is replacing my dSLR, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Sony DSCRX100 Advanced Digital Compact Premium Camera (1.0-Type Exmor R CMOS sensor, Bright High Quality 28-100 mm F1.8-4.9 Zeiss Lens, 3.6x optical zoom, 20 MP, 3 inch LCD display) - Black (Camera)
First of all I know the RX100 will not cover the more extreme situations that my Canon 600D will, but when I think about the times I need the extra sensor size, hot shoe, etc., it is very rare. The other day I went out for a long walk with my 600D and 15-85mm lens, by the time I got home by back was killing me (I am getting on a bit so someone young and fit may not have a problem) from the almost 1.2 kg (camera body, lens and spare batteries). Because it was in the bag any fleeting opportunity for a photo was missed because it is just too bulky for me to have around my neck all the time when walking along. I had also left the long zoom at home otherwise I would have been carrying about 1.5kg, how do people manage to carry around pro camera bodies and pro lenses?

The RX100 arrived a day faster than the standard delivery I paid for and sensibly packed in a large box protected by brown paper stuff, the wait for the battery to fully charge tested my patience. Having used it indoors and outdoors taking RAW I can say that the photo quality (to my amateur eyes) is no different to the 600D. I did find that using the Sony image data converter software to bulk save the RAW files to jpeg gave files 2 to 3 times the size of a comparable jpeg straight from the camera, if the jpeg is good I delete the RAW, but if it is a picture I really like then I can mess around with the RAW file if I want.

The camera is very small when you consider the sensor size and lens, and you can really put it in a pocket, it being not a huge amount bigger than some mobile phones (particularly mine that is old). I have set one of the memory settings to use fine jpeg with the extra zoom so I can use the in camera toys that do not usually work with RAW so with a turn of the dial I can play like it is any other P&S camera.

The only negative thing to say is that no external charger is included, the battery has to be charged in camera via a micro USB cable that is included. I bought a nice black case, external battery charger, and spare battery on ebay for under £20 from super_cheap_city. The case is two piece retro style and looks nice, plus protects the camera when wandering around. The charger and battery work fine.

In conclusion for the die hard photographer this will not replace a dSLR especially the low light times, when you need a viewfinder, when you need the extra sensor area, and when you want the professional look a nice big camera and lens give. At my age and with a bad back I am more than happy to go on holiday and go on walks carrying the RX100 for almost entry level dSLR standard photos, and also carrying my TZ30 for when I really need the extra zoom. The RX100 and TZ30 together with a spare battery for each weigh under 0.5kg, my back said thanks for shedding the extra 1kg. I will miss my nice 600D and lenses but you reach a point in life when convenience and being able to carry a camera all the time with you matters more, some people will say that the dSLR takes better photos, but that it immaterial if I have left it at home because it is inconvenient to carry all the time.

Update:
Still happy with the fantastic photo quality and ease of use. I changed the function of the centre control button from 'tracking focus' to 'exposure lock' which has made the RX100 much more user friendly as I tend to move the camera to change the exposure (i.e. if I want to make sure the sky is not blown out), press exposure lock, then re-frame and focus on the actual subject.

Apr 2014 update.
After convincing myself that I needed a dslr with better image quality I sold the RX100 and went through a few high end dslr's with various lenses, and recently tried a Panasonic LX7. Unfortunately the best photos I have are the ones I took in 2013 while in Sri Lanka with the RX100, the dslr's were just not convenient for my 'walk about' type of photography, the LX7 I found particularly poor and no substitute at all. So I am back with an RX100 and very happy with the camera/photo quality and its pockitability, it is not perfect but then for most people their camera is a compromise between weight, size, build quality, image quality, etc. A photo opportunity is only any good if I have my camera with me, and the RX100 is the perfect carry around camera, like many things in life you only realise an items importance when it is not there any more.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]