on 9 March 2009
Firstly, I was a big fan of the original F.E.A.R and the add-ons. It was atmospheric, unpredictable, and had nice active Multiplayer community. The sound and graphics were great and the whole horror-FPS was a great twist on an old format.

A few rather large problems with this game though.
The obvious ones are- really very linear levels-to the point of being frustrating. I expect more from a FPS these days after playing things like Fallout 3 and COD4.
It's too short. When you spend this much on a game you expect it to keep you entertained for longer than 1 evening.
Locked ratio is ridiculous- shouldn't a video game at least fill your screen?- even pacman managed that!

The list could go on, however-The main problem really though is STEAM.

I had the same issues with it back on Half life 2..You need broadband on even just to play it in 1 player! that's outrageous and is what stopped me playing Half-life2. If you don't have 100% reliable brodaband, forget it.

Only 1 installation?!? Come on, thats just ridiculous.
I have 2 p.c's in different places and can't install this on both-for £30 odd I expect a little more trust than that from the developers.
Not to mention the fact that Steam is fiddly, annoying, highly intrusive and a nightmare to have to go through should, heaven forbid, you have any problems with the game (which it looks like quite a few people are having).
I don't copy games, I've bought every one i've ever played because I want it to work and I realise that if I want decent, ground-breaking games, then the people who make them can't work for free, but this level of security in an effort stop piracy is a whole staircase too far.

Needless to say I don't recommend it. Get F.E.A.R 1 (same thing but better) or COD4 (nicer multiplayer, good storyline) or franky, ANYTHING other than this, as until people start boycotting these over-zealous anti piracy measures they will continue to get worse and worse until one day we'll find ourselves having to get a DNA test every time we want to shoot some imaginary aliens for 5 minutes.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.