on 1 August 2012
I absolutely loved Discovery of Witches and believe it or not I literally counted the days to the sequel being released. I pre-ordered it and didn't even mind paying the extortionate price for the kindle version than the beautiful hardback; I was too excited to care. However I am up to Page 132 and can honestly say I'm bored-very bored. What has happened to the wonderful Diana and her dashing gorgeous vampire, Matthew? Yes the 16th century descriptions are absolutely amazing but nothing at all has happened. I'm completely devastated and hate to admit my overwhelming disappointment at having to say this. I usually read at least a book a week but I've been plodding along now for the best part of 10 days. . I cannot express my deep regret about this but I'm calling it a day if something doesn't happen soon. I don't give up on books lightly, and especially one which I have eagerly anticipated and paid an extortionate price for, but life is too short to read something you're not enjoying. I had such high hopes but sadly this hasn't materialised.

****update.
I did stick with it and read until the end. I was so thankful I had finished it and grew to dislike the book even more, but I was hoping against hope that things would pick up: sadly they didn't. The middle of the book was great, with Diana getting to grips with her 'witchy' things and which was the whole foundation of the first story. The pace was sadly lacking throughout the entire book and I felt I was punishing myself for continuing to read when I should, in fact, have given up when I said I would, which was virtually at the beginning. I would like to reiterate that I absolutely adored DOW and was looking forward to devouring the whole trilogy but I think I am going to leave Matthew and Diana firmly in the past and give the final book, when it is eventually released, a miss; and I am severely disappointed that I have made this decision.

I have given this 2 stars due to the enjoyable middle of the book as I thought 1 star a little harsh, but really I would have given it 1. 5 if this was an option.
1919 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?