VINE VOICEon 5 May 2010
I have come to the end of my Bill Hicks Odyssey!
I haven't read all the books, but this is the last DVD/ CD of Bill's that I hadn't tried &, needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.

If you've listened to Philosophy: The Best Of Bill Hicks, then you will find the best bits of this CD fairly familiar (Tracks 2, 3 & 9). If you're like me, you also may be recognise much of the other material, although there is plenty that is unique to this album (e.g. tracks 1, 4, 6, 7 & 8).
The great thing is though that, familiar or not, this is still a great album, on a par with Relentless & certainly not lacking in Hicks' insight.

There are elements that Hicks improved on with later albums, such as his vision at the end (which is a little weak on this CD, but has all the right elements). Furthermore, there is no music or material on religion but, when this is compared to the first efforts of other comedians (e.g. Eddie Izzard - Unrepeatable), this shows the man on top of his game even 4 years before his untimely demise.

Two things I'd say in criticism though:
First is that track 4 (beyond minute 5) is by far the most disgusting material I've heard from the man as it delves into paedophilia & you can almost tell the audience is a little reviled by it.
Second is that (on the version I bought) the titles don't match the tracks. Assuming this is true of all CD's, the correct listing seems to be:

1. Modern Bummer
2. Flying Saucer Tour
3. Smoking
4. We Live In A World... (?)
5. The War on Drugs
6. Burning Issues
7. I Love My Job
8. My Parents
9. Please Do Not Disturb
10. The Vision.

All round though, this CD is impressive & deserves its hallowed status as a classic. Not quite up there with the masterpieces Rant in E-Minor &Arizona Bay, it still hits the spot & is surprisingly undated. Here's hoping the movie (American - The Bill Hicks Story) is as good.

P.S. Call me a nerd, but on my profile you will find reviews for ALL the CD's of Bill Hicks...
I really need to get layed!
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?