TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 January 2014
*Update (31Jan2014): I wore these this morning with a pair of silk liner gloves. The silk helped - after 30 minutes. Up to then my hands were cold. The temperature was 2.5C with a bit of a wind. These gloves feel inherently cold with what I can only call a 'rubbery' lining. In addition to the mods I list below, they also need a more fleecy (microfibre?) inner: really, that means different gloves altogether! I may try merino liners, but even the silk was a tight fit inside the fingers, so merino could be risky.

*Original review: I bought these after I found that the 'TouchFit' version actually made my hands colder, even when I tucked them inside my quilted jacket! This 'ThermFit' version boasts three layers instead of two ... but performance is hardly any better and my ThermFit pair actually weighs less (77g) than my TouchFit pair (84g) so there's something odd going on. Waterproof? Fair enough - but you expect gloves to keep your hands warm! I have ordered silk liners to try to make them warmer ... but now I have spent more than enough to have bought a better pair in the first place.

Why the poor thermal performance? One reason is that the outer layer is knitted, so it lets the cold air in. (It also catches aggressively on Velcro!) The ThermFit design especially cries out for a windproof outer, and thicker insulation. If you want your hands to be warm as well as dry, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Build quality is OK. Sizing - baggy around the palm, and they seem a bit tight around my fingers. I hope the silk liner will fit.

Scores: 2 stars (TouchFit) and 3 stars (ThermFit).
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?