on 25 February 2013
I am really rather sad to be writing this review and being unenthusiastic about an Atlantis series of books but each one of the six has left me feeling more than a little let down. These read more like a Sheyla Fan-Fiction story than a continuation of the SGA series, at times the writing standard was quite poor and I had to force myself to read on.

I am a huge SGA fan, I own all the books in both ebook and paperback along with all the SG1 books and I do read a lot of Stargate fanfiction online some of it good some of it not so good, and had this series of books been published for free on a fanfic site then I probably would have not felt so let down nor indeed would I have bothered to leave a review. However, having paid full price for the ebooks, for the first time ever I will NOT also be buying the paperback editions to add to my collection.

The author had a good idea for a story, but this was let down badly by their lack of feel for some of the characters, in particular Sheppard the author just didn't "get him" and I was left feeling more and more unable to really immerse myself in the book because he (amongst others) weren't believable. I found myself skip reading whole pages just to get past the Sheyla stuff which was totally superfluous to the story itself, it almost at times felt like Mills & Boon does Stargate - badly.

The Keller/McKay relationship arc feels as if the author really didn't like that pairing in the series so decided to put an end to it as quickly as possible, since this was an established relationship from the series this is the one that perhaps could and should have had more focus on it, instead it felt rushed and Keller was another of the characters I felt the author "didn't get".

At times the writing itself was poor and this really should have been picked up at the editing stage, at times I wondered how old the writer was or even if English was their first language all of which meant that I was being dragged out of the story back to the real world and that started to irritate me. Instead of hardly being able to tear myself away and finishing the book in under a day I found myself feeling that I was reading merely so I could finish the book and happy to leave it and do something else for a while when I grew too impatient with it.

All in all I'm left feeling a bit let down.
What's this?