1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle rip-off, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Hydrogen Sonata: A Culture Novel (Culture series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
Why is the Kindle price higher than paper?
Most of the cost of this work will go to author, publisher, editor, marketing, etc. The paper versions have to cover the cost of printing and distribution whilst the Kindle version has VAT added. I think the VAT is less than the paper production costs. So there is no good reason why the Kindle price should be higher than paper.
As soon as I am aware that the Kindle price is no longer excessive I will change this review accordingly and buy the book. When I have read it I will update the review and re-score.

Update 8 Novemeber 2011
Much a some people dislike those of us who use these reviews to campaign for fair pricing of ebooks - the simple fact is it works - the Kindle price has dropped by about £2.50. I will add my review of content in due course.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Oct 2012, 20:43:23 BST
SgtPluck says:
Ah, there's always one. Tell you what - educate yourself in the economics of actually producing an e-book, then come back and try again. It's a absolute disgrace that some moron puts up a one-star review without actually having read the book just because he's got the hump over pricing, despite not actually knowing anything about how much it costs to produce a e-book. No paper must be cheaper. No paper must be cheaper. Repeat this mantra ad infinitum, while drooling in slack-jawed self-righteousness.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012, 21:35:48 BST
This is offensive. I am not the moron.
I understand the economics of paper and ebooks. It is explained in my review.
I have not said 'No paper must be cheaper'. I have said there is no justification for ebooks being charged at a higher price than paper and that I will not by ebooks that are priced in that way.
For evidence I offer the full range of Amazon and every other supplier of ebooks where the vast majority of items are priced with the ebook at the same or slightly under the price of paper.
I accept that a significant part of the price of a book - whether paper or electronic - is based on what the market will bear. This is my way of telling publishers that there are some in there market who will not bear this. I am pleased to say I have bought a number of ebooks where the price has changed after my one star review has been posted.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012, 22:08:55 BST
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2012, 22:12:51 BST
SgtPluck says:
it is not explained in your review- it is assumed. At this moment, bringing an ebook to market isn't radically cheaper than a paper one. Besides this reality of ebook pricing, which you clearly don't understand, ebooks are always initially more expensive deliberately as it motivates people to buy the paper stock. as soon as the initial run is over, and he warehouses are empty, then ebooks will start to drop in price.

So 2 out of 33 people agree with you? Ask yourself who's the moron, really.

i find it extraordinarily arrogant that you feel the ebooks have dropped in price simply due to your one-star crusade! The caped crusader of Amazon reviews strikes again. My hero.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012, 23:02:53 BST
You really should actually read what I have written rather than create your assumptions of what I mean.
I have not said that 'bringing an ebook to market is radically cheaper than a paper one'.
Ebooks are not always more expensive, even at first publication date - most are not.
You have no idea or understanding of my feelings. I have not suggested a causal link between my reviews and the change in price - you have assumed it - but the change has happened.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012, 23:49:29 BST
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2012, 23:49:53 BST
SgtPluck says:
The paper versions have to cover the cost of printing and distribution whilst the Kindle version has VAT added. I think the VAT is less than the paper production costs. So there is no good reason why the Kindle price should be higher than paper////

From your own review, in black and white. E-books should be cheaper because they have no printing or distribution costs. I'm not 'assuming' anything - your position can't be clearer.

No, e-books are not ALWAYS more expensive, true. But, I'd say more often than not with these heavy hitting authors from big publishing houses, they are. Hence the proliferation of confused and muddled one-star reviewers bitching about the price differential.

When you're in a hole, I would recommend you stop digging.

Posted on 6 Oct 2012, 01:04:59 BST
Last edited by the author on 6 Oct 2012, 01:23:25 BST
E. Motler says:
Steve let me get this straight. You claim to have not read this book at all, but you have nonetheless given it a 1 star review? You have done so on the basis of some personal crusade against Kindle pricing?

Let me explain why I have a problem with your actions. First off I understand that when reviewing a book there is more to the review than just the readers opinion on the content or the story itself. The format of the book contributes towards the pleasure that the reader gains or doesn't from the book, the condition of the medium and the price also are factors that come into play when considering the books worth as an overall product and literary experience. So I have no problem with you expressing your distaste of Kindle pricing.

However, these are contributing factors the most important factor the key element is the story itself, the content, that which is imparted unto the reader via the medium of the written word. And you absolutely cannot under any circumstances review a book that by your own admission you have not read. To do so is dishonest and deliberately misleading. It is quite shocking that you obviously think that this is an OK thing to do.

I am over 40 years old, when you are my age you count the days and years left in your life very carefully. I have no time for wasting what's left to me. I have over 100 titles sitting on my to read shelf at home, it will take me 4 years at minimum to read this backlog. As a result myself and people like me read the reviews at Amazon to gain an independent insight into whether a particular book might appeal based upon the consensus of other like minded, or not as the case may be, individuals. In short I don't want to waste my time when there are so many other opportunities available to me, if it turns out that the book in question is a pig in a poke.

What you personally are doing, by giving such a low score (or any score for that matter) to a book that you have not read, is nothing other than spamming the system. It is the worst kind of trolling and I find it wholly reprehensible.
I have no doubt from reading your comments that you will roundly disagree with my assertions, otherwise you would not have submitted your own review, unless of course you hadn't considered your actions outside of the scope of your own ambitions. But perhaps in the same way that you hope to change Amazons pricing policy with your negative and disruptive actions, maybe I can blindly and foolishly hope that on quiet reflection after reading this, you yourself may choose to review your own review policy, so as to bear some small consideration to the rest of us innocent book buying and elderly observers, so that we might not get caught in the cross fire of your fiscal jihad.

Just a thought.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012, 08:21:29 BST
At no point have I ever said "E-books should be cheaper because they have no printing or distribution costs". You are dreaming it.

I agree that publishers try to push the price they think they can get for whatever medium. And I think it reasonable to fight that.

Not confused or muddled. Not bitching, just trying to change things.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012, 09:42:37 BST
IainW says:
Well change things by pestering bathe publisher or your mp, the author doesn't set the price and even amazon isn't allowed to.

Yet you diss the book, do you spend hours looking online for books more expensive on the kindle instead. Well I suggest you go get a life by doing something else. There are plenty of second hand books and shops available to get your cheap stuff.

Really you need to sort out your priorities in life.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012, 09:46:56 BST
SgtPluck says:
Man, that's exactly what you said!! I can't believe you're still arguing it.

Anyway, E.Motler has slam-dunked you about as comprehensively as I've ever seen on Amazon.

I think the honourable thing to do would be to remove your review immediately. While I do actually agree that the publishing industry hasn't yet come up with a coherent pricing model in the digital age, it is still wholly inappropriate that you choose to make your protest in this manner.

Besides, in these days of 'sock puppets' and fake reviews, the review system is already pretty much discredited. It's a shame because there are decent reviewers here, but the one-eyed one-star brigade certainly aren't helping when they post rubbish like this.

Posted on 6 Oct 2012, 14:01:51 BST
There are Forums for this type of protest , if you haven`t even read the book then your `review` is meaningless.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›