VINE VOICEon 17 August 2008
I always used to think of Traffic as a singles band back in the '60's and then mostly lost interest in them into the '70's,but a few years ago I got their first 3 albums on cd and since then I have regular sessions of playing them and Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys one after the other.Whilst doing so last week it struck me that I ought to check out Dave Mason's albums, given that I liked his work with Traffic,but had never really spared him a thought otherwise.So I bought this package of his first 2 albums on one cd and it's definitely worth the £9.98 I paid.

They are both very late Sixties/ early Seventies: the first album Alone Together has very strong influences of Delaney & Bonnie and Leon Russell and would appeal,I think, to anyone who likes them or Derek & The Dominos, Joe Cocker circa Mad Dogs and Englishmen, and even The Allman Brothers Band. English rock with a strong American influence, some nice guitar solos, female backing singers and a good melody and lyrics.

The second album starts off with more of the same and then switches to the live tracks, which are all very good versions featuring some great Seventies style, slightly jazz rock, electric piano.I really enjoyed it.

Parts of them do sound familiar and were no doubt part of the background soundtrack to my younger days and overall the albums do sound slightly dated,but in a good way.I've really enjoyed hearing them and if you can identify with anything I've written then I'd recommend these albums.
12 people found this helpful