on 1 December 2012
I bought this game not expecting much, hoping to find something that could sate my desire for a new Mario Kart. I was pleasantly surprised. The character's will appeal to any longer term SEGA fans and for the most part seem a fun, diverse and relatively balance bunch. The game has elements that feel Mario Kart-esque, as do most kart games. There's the familiar corner drift boosting and an array of bizarre picks ups that can be used to inflict pain upon your fellow racers. It also put me in mind of Diddy Kong racing, back on the N64 with the land, sea and air elements. It's very fast paced and suitably challenging.

I would note aside these comparisons it's certainly a game in it's own right, and a good one. There's a large selection of courses, I think it's twenty five. They are varied and interesting. As it the campaign, which breaks the normal grind of racing with challenges and duel-races to unlock new character's. Overall it's a good, solid single player game.

However where it's great is the multiplayer. I have Nintendoland, Zombie U and this, and I can say on inviting my friend over (this rules out Zombie U) by far the most fun we had was on this and indeed fun I've had so far. It allows you to play the campaign together, meaning you don't have to unlock everyone before hand as the specifically multiplayer option was a little irritating. Additionally I haven't tried but it looks as if you could actually have four people playing the campaign mode. In most you'll be racing competitively, but in some it can makes sense to work together. Moreover only one of you need win.

If I had a negative, it is that I was playing on the Wii U remote, the one with the screen I forget it's official name. Whilst good quality, better than anything on a handheld obvious, the graphics did not quite match up to that of the television. I do not feel this is a fault of the hardware for on both Zombie U and Nintendoland the image is much crisper. However it is still perfect playable and looks fine, just not quite as good as the television. So if you're on the fence and want a multiplayer racer, I'd recommend you get this. If you're more likely to just play it alone, it may not be quite as good. As to the online capabilities, I couldn't tell you as I haven't got around to all that yet. However a good, solid game but nothing revolutionary. 4/5
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?