4.0 out of 5 stars A fun game to play although it won't teach you everything, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Rocksmith - includes Real Tone Cable (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have been waiting for this to be released in the UK for a year now and now that its finally here I have to say that the wait was definitely worth it. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years and I was able to instantly be able to do fairly well. I scored 97% on my second song which I am quite happy with. The game itself is really fun to play and it kept me wanting to keep on playing. One of the really odd things is that it is very similar to Guitar Hero, more so than I thought it would be, for me this is a good thing :) Below are the good and the bad points about this game.

Pro's:
-Excellent gameplay; the game keeps me wanting to come back and play some more.
-No audio lag through my turtle beach X11's.
-Good selection of songs
-Relatively well priced considering the cost of the cable on its own.
-The game encourages me to play the guitar which at the very least is building finger/wrist/back and shoulder stregth which will help me when I play normally.
-The mini games are fun to play
-This game is making more people play guitar which can only be a good thing.
-The game is able to accurately tune the guitar including drop tunings.
-The achievements make you want to obtain something.
-I have actually learnt parts of songs which I can play when plugged into an actual amp.

Con's:
-When you first play the game you have to go through loads of beginner video's and sections which as a relatively experienced guitarist I didn't need to go through, this meant that for about 15 minutes I couldn't go and play songs which annoyed me, there should have been a skip option.
-The choice of songs doesn't cover a wide variety of genre;s which is a shame as I enjoy playing heavier songs (Metal or hard rock).
-As a continuation of the point above many people would suggest that there are a number of DLC songs to cater for that genre of music, well there isn't. The UK version has only around 12 songs even though the game advertises other available songs in the menu. This has seriously annoyed me as I was looking forward to playing a number of the DLC songs. Ubisoft haven't stated when these songs will be available if ever. The least they could do is change the adverts in game to songs that I can actually buy.
-There are a number of issues for people who think that they could pick this game up and learn to play the guitar from scratch. I will list these below:
1)The game doesn't teach you correct finger placement
2)The game cannot watch you and tell you what you are doing wrong unlike a real guitar teacher
3)The game can suddenly throw a new technique at you and it will catch you off guard.
4)If you pick up bad habits while playing this game they will be hard to get rid of.

-The audio lag is a severe problem through my TV although through the headset its fine, apparently this is an issue with HDMI leads and the sound processing in your TV, turning on game mode can fix this although I don't have this mode on my TV.
-The menu's in the game are a nightmare. They are navigable but they are so awkward to use, they could have been made much simpler.

Conclusion.
Overall this game is excellent for anyone who already plays the guitar, its basically what we guitarists have always wanted; Guitar Hero but with an actual guitar. I definitely feel that I am actually learning the songs as I play them and this game has also encouraged me to drop some bad habits (Such as always looking at the fretboard when I play). If you are a novice guitarist or have never played before then I would whole heartily recommend that you buy this and give it a go, just be sure to use other sources in order to teach yourself how to play. Some excellent free sources would be youtube videos or justinguitar as well as ultimate guitar. The very best way to learn would be to use this as well as guitar tabs and have a lesson a week or per fortnight with a good guitar teacher. That way any problems you develop he can fix for you. If you do that then you should be able to play guitar confidently in a few months if you put in the practice and it is definitely a skill that is worth learning. Thanks for reading the review, I hope I didn't bore anyone too much :)

Dan.

*UPDATE*
I have found another flaw with the game which is to do with the events. When you play an event it may want you to change tuning for the first song then for the rest play in another tuning. What the game doesn't do though is check that you are in tune before each song in an event which is a problem as the guitar can change pitch after altering tuning, especially when drop tuning. This is because the nut isn't slick enough to allow the string to move completely freely. This problem will be even more apparent on cheaper guitars. The best way to fix this is if you have to drop a tuning (Loosen the string) then you can simply pull the string above the pickups away from the body of the guitar slightly. This will pull the string through the nut of the guitar properly and it will be a more accurate tuning point. In game this represents a difference of 3 on the tuning thing which is quite significant as the guitar would have changed tuning mid song otherwise.
The other thing to do to make sure you are in tune is to get a clip on tuner such as the planet waves tuner:

Planet Waves PW-CT-12 NS Mini Headstock Tuner

This is a really easy way of being able to check that you are in tune without having to remove the guitar cable.

I hope this wasn't too confusing for you all, its sort of hard to explain, thanks for reading :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Sep 2012, 19:21:45 BST
Nice review Dan.

Having played Rocksmith for the last year (yes I was that keen) I would go along with almost everything you say - almost ;)

I totally agree with your point on the intro section, its like pulling teeth the first time but having to start again due to losing your save data is even worse!

The DLC situation sucks but upon its first release there was a lot less than 12 tracks available and I am sure that they will either release all the others soon or over a pretty short period of time. Not having your fave genre or group represented is indeed a bind but take the opportunity to try out some music you might not be familiar with, when I first got it I had never heard of The Black Keys, they are now one of my favourite bands and certainly one of my favourites to play in game.

While the game doesn't specifically teach you finger placement it does show you where your hand should be on the neck. Check out a song and notice that it always highlights 4 frets in blue, thats your ideal finger placement. Sometimes it doesn't make sense until you have all the notes opened up.

Its by no means a perfect game, there have been many times I have felt way out of my depth very suddenly, but thats part of the journey and getting over the tricky parts has made the whole thing much more worth while for me. You will find that you will not like a song as you dont enjoy playing it, then one day after improving your skills you will come back to that song and nail it and wonder why you avoided it.

Anyway, all the rest reflects my views too :) Rock on.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2012, 19:45:54 BST
Danny Harris says:
Thanks for the comment :) I agree, this, like Guitar Hero, opened me up to a number of bands that I have never heard of which is excellent. As this is the first widespread release of a Guitar Hero-esque game which utilizes a real guitar I can only hope that other developers continue to go down this route and begin making similar games. Hopefully the massive interested in Rocksmith will get their attention enough to know that there are a number of people out there who want the real experience :)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2012, 20:54:00 BST
Lee says:
Ohh! I think you better google for Bandfuse if you are hankering for another real guitar game :D

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012, 16:56:06 BST
There are a couple of hard rock/metal numbers that you will enjoy in the default set list; Slither, Number 13 and (maybe) A more perfect union (which I hate..!).

DLC released in the US that will almost certainly make it out over here include Judas Priest and Megadeth. Something to break out your studded jacket for ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012, 18:34:18 BST
Danny Harris says:
Haha I hope so although I believe the megadeth songs are already out in the UK. I was thinking more along the lines of Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, The Scorpions, Bullet For My Valentine, Black Label Society etc. I just hope the DLC starts to be released soon, the more choice the better :) Also, Mr. Hodgson, I will be sure to check out Bandfuse, thanks for letting me know there's more out there to get my hands on :D

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2012, 13:27:53 BST
Lee says:
No worries :) Although Bandfuse is not out yet and the release date looks to have been pushed back to 2013 :(

In an ideal world we would be able to plug in our own MP3 and the notes would magically download for whatever track we wanted but in this crazy world we have to buy the DLC that Ubi are offering which never seems enough. They sound like they are doing all that they can and sometimes certain bands and record labels are making life very difficult for them (rumour has it there was a supergroup that said "sure, you can have that track, it will cost you 4 million"! I'm just glad that this game exists at all, it almost didnt.....

Posted on 11 Oct 2012, 11:26:12 BST
P Roscoe says:
I agree with ur review , im loving the game but there are some flaws. The one big problem i had at first was when i used my elec guitar i got from asda which was only £69 quid. The problem was with the low E string (red string) basically when i was told to play a note on say the 2nd fret and i did with perfect timing it would tell me to move to the left ??? so i was as though it was out of whack ?? did anyone else have this problem ? luckily i have another elec guitar so ive just moved to using my other guitar instead but it is annoying :(

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2012, 14:02:38 BST
Danny Harris says:
Its probably down to the fact that its such a cheap guitar. I'm guessing you don't know too much about guitars as you have an ASDA guitar, basically the neck probably isn't straight enough, it is probably bent slightly too much the wrong way which means that although you are playing the correct fret, the pitch of the note is still going to be incorrect. You should take it to a local guitar store and get them to check it out. I would have to say though that you should probably think about getting a new guitar, the cheap budget ones are just awful, look up the vintage VS6, that's a great cheap guitar and you could get one on gumtree or ebay for about £80. I'm glad you enjoyed the review buddy, thanks for commenting :)

Posted on 28 Oct 2012, 17:38:59 GMT
DJC92 says:
This has to be the best product review I've ever read, top notch.

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years, really getting into it now, and I feel like I'm out of the beginner stage. So maybe this game could come in quite useful to learn/advance certain techniques. Bang tidy.

Posted on 4 Nov 2012, 16:33:12 GMT
Ubisoft confirmed on the Rocksmith UK Facebook Group page that they do intend to release ALL DLC currently available to US players in Europe. Presumably they have to renegotiate licensing for each one.

Also, regarding the inclusion of more metal and heavier songs, more than a few such songs use alternative tunings. As an example, as I write this Ubisoft recently released a pack containing three Avenged Sevenfold songs, all of which are in Drop D tuning. One comment bemoaned the lack of inclusion of the song "Almost Easy", which uses Drop D-flat tuning (which, for the benefit of inexperienced Rocksmith/guitar players, is a semitone lower than Drop D, which requires the retuning of all six strings instead of just one), and I believe that even E-flat tuning is also quite common in heavier genres. The question then would be whether or not Rocksmith players would be willing to retune all six strings just to play these songs.

I'm not saying people WOULDN'T be willing to retune all six strings, it's just whether or not there would be enough songs that require such retunings to make such DLC a viable option.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›