4.0 out of 5 stars A good router to start with, 16 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Silverline 264895 Plunge Router, 1/2 inch, 1500 W (DIY & Tools)
This is my first router, although before purchasing a router of my own I borrowed from friends and tried different models.

I chosed this router because I wanted something for a saltuary DIY use, with a solid body, base plate and guides, and the possibility to mount 1/2 shank bits. Last but not least this router have the impressive power of 1500W.

I wasn't expecting too much from a low-cost Chinese router, but I was positively surprised by many things.

Ok, once I got the package, I found my first pleasant surprise. Since I am from Italy I thought I had to change the plug, but no, the mains plug on the cable is the european/german standard schuko, and on it it's fitted a standard fused UK square plug adapter. So all I had to do was to remove the adapter (just 1 screw to remove) and that's it, the plug becomes european-ised.

Beside the router itself, in the box there is a sturdy parallel guide with two rods and a roller guide, a circle guide, a template guide, five collets (1/2, 1/4, 6,8,12 mm) plus the chuck spanner, spare carbons for the motor, a dust extraction port and a measurement bar.

The feeling of the handles is good, the commands looks all in the right place. The plunge up-down movement is quite difficult, since the spring inside the vertical guides are too strong and to push it down you really have to push with energy. However, seems it's not so uncommon, since I found the same behavior on other routers, like the Bosch pof 1400 (while the pof 1200 have a very smooth and delicate movement, weirdness of life...).

On the body there is a 7 levels speed knob, a professional like depth gauge (perhaps a bit exaggerated on a DIY level router), a spindle lock button and a depth stop lock.

At the first start I noticed the router have a soft start function, it prevent the router to yank at startup.

I did some trials with the router handheld, using the guides, and I managed to have some nice work done. The speed control really make the difference for working different wood type.

Since I couldn't really stand the hard plunge movement, I replaced the hard springs with two new ones that I got in a local hardware store. Now the movement is quite smooth and satisfying.

Now I'm using the router on a router table and, so far, it's working great.

In brief, I think this is a good DIY tool. I would recommend this router to beginners not willing to spend too much money but at the same time wanting a sturdy and powerful first router.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Dec 2012, 13:41:50 GMT
the person that wrote this post was Paolo is it possible to give advice on how to replace the springs?
Ken

Posted on 7 Jan 2015, 13:44:14 GMT
Wry Nott says:
Hi

I have this router and am also trying to fit it to a routing table. Unfortunately I find the Silverline base plate is slightly bigger than standard so on my table at least, does not fit. Did you have the same issue and if so, how did you solve it?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2015, 14:54:41 GMT
Paolo says:
Hello

Higgs - Unfortunately I didn't have your problem. The bottom of my router table is flat so, after centering the router, I was able to mark the position of the holes, making them and screw the router on the table. The only "trick" i did was to remove the plastic base of the router, to expose the metal part and - most important - the screw holes.

Kenneth - I replaced the springs long time ago, I don't remember much about how I did it, but basically you have to dismount the router until you can take the springs out. Then you bring them at an hardware store, and get a new pair with same size (length, diameter of the helix) but less hard (usually the wire of the coil is thinner).
All in all, it's a matter of one hour.

Posted on 6 Aug 2015, 16:54:52 BST
Brett says:
how did you get the springs out . ??????? is it from the base .... where it looks like a washer crimped in . ???????

Posted on 3 Apr 2016, 19:04:36 BST
MR B. says:
How do you keep the router turned on if using it with a table? Can the trigger be locked?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2016, 21:17:13 BST
Paolo says:
No lock, I used some tape to keep it going, and the switch is on the table. But you can also use a pedal.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2016, 06:31:50 BST
Wry Nott says:
My solution is to keep it permenantly on by holding the switch depressed with a cable tie. My router table has an on off switch and a plug socket, which I use to Control power to the router. Not ideal but it works, and the router table switch is more easily accessible than the router, once it is mounted. I have searched high and low for a router that has a lock on switch, but without success
‹ Previous 1 Next ›