on 16 July 2008
I have used many security softwares, free and paid for, and eventually settled for a life with McAfee for various reasons, and despite various issues that I'd had with it previously.

A few weeks ago McAfee started failing, and I thought I had malware affecting it. Eventually I found no intrusions, but there was a serious bug in McAfee. I spent days trying to resolve it. My history with McAfee has been love / hate, and so this was the final straw and I decided to uninstall it and not waste more time.

My bank was offering a long trial with KIS 2009 so I gave it a try. Seemed great, until some important emails containing a press release attachment were not received by some people - basically KIS had removed the outgoing attachments, although they were NOT infected. That coincided with some false positives in the full scan, so I had no patience with the highly sensitive KIS and uninstalled it, frustrated again.

I had read great reports and recommendations from friends about ESET NOD32, so tried that next. Great software, but it frequently blocked POP and IMAP ports on Outlook. Since I have multiple email accounts, this may have been the reason in that NOD32 could not cope with them all. Anyway, frustrated through more lost business time, I did not have more time to learn the technical details of yet another security product. Also overall it was awkward to understand and use - great for technical users, but not for business people who just need things to work out of the box!

So what to do now? I went back through reconsidering my my old various security softwares like PC Tools, Threatfire, Avast, Avira, AVG, etc. But they all had a significant downside for me. As an example, Avira looked promising, but unfortunately gave far too many false positives - some of my Excel files have macros, and it kept reporting them as macro viruses! That is like assuming that EVERY .exe is a virus! Very poor and "trigger happy". Avira also "suggested" that there were 2 rootkits! So I checked with 4 other rootkit softwares and they ALL confirmed my system was clean!!! Even Avira was not sure, just a suggestion. Basically i think Avira catches all the bad stuff, but at the big expense of assuming that too many good files are also bad and it can really risk screwing your system and data in my experience.

After hearing further good reports about KIS 2009 i decided to, for the last time, invest time to work out the problem with missing attachments. I found some relevant options to de-sensitise it on checking outgoing emails (I only really need to check incoming, especially if KIS 2009 is already keeping my system clean)

Now KIS is running very well. It has a very low resource usage - lower than anything I have seen, even NOD32, and is performing flawlessly. I am very impressed. For sure, it is not "perfect", but nothing is. Unfortunately no security can be "one size fits all" and so you do need to read the manuals and play with it for an hour or so, to get right for your own setup and usage requirements. But once you do that, you will have a great security. Well done KIS.

We all wish security was effortless, but unfortunately the bad guys don't allow that, and good guys like Kaspersky give us some tools to try and keep the bad guys away, but at the end of the day you MUST understand your own system, or if you don't have the time, or patience to do that, then go and pay someone else to understand it for you. That is an essential responsibility for any computed connected to the internet or internal network.
22 Comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?