on 16 November 2012
I myself am a Christian who has come out of a life of deep bondage including homosexuality. I am 58 years old and my homosexuality goes back to my boarding school days and carried on until i became a Christian in my early 50s. I had entered into a dialogue with Jeffrey John at St Albans Cathedral about the topic of homosexual marriage and he reccommended his book to me. I had and have many profound objections to homosexual marriage and indeed any form of homosexual sexual expression. My stance comes from not only my experience of the devatating effects my homosexuality had on my life but also from a scriptural point of view. Jeffrey John told me that his book should help to irradicte my scriptural questions. I have a number of problems with this claim by Jeffrey John not least that Mr John has corresponded to me that there are a number of really fundamental parts od the bible that he simply does not believe. If this is the case, a leading church of England dean not believing in fundamental scritural truths leads me to question how Mr John can defend his homosexual position on a scriptural basis.

My second point is that mr Johns book contains no scriptures which condone homoseuality and the few he mentions are ones which forbid homosexuality and he trys to interpret them in a way that can condone it.

Finally, at one point Mr John trys to compare homosexuality, he includes homosexual sexual expression which will include sodomy and fellatio, with the creative will that a person with no arms uses when they paint a picture with their feet. I must admit when I saw that passage in his book I wondered if i was seeing things but I am afraid that was the general tone of the whole book. The whole thing was very light weight and verging on the rediculous and that Mr John was apparently in the running to be the bishop of Southward perhaps the most amazingly historical cathedral in london is very worrying. That he is the dean of the church that in on the site of the earliest place of Christian worship in England is also very troubling to me.
4646 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?