5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product. Good Value - working with 4 x 3TB Drives always on. No issues whatsoever., 9 Jan. 2014
Just got this yesterday and immediately installed 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs and overall it works great, just one minor potential flaw in the product - the AC/DC adapter is just 5.42 Amps output rated, yet the disk drives that I'm using are 1.5A each (5V x 0.75A + 12V x 0.75A) so 4 of these internal HDD = 6 Amps. That's more current than the electrical supply lead will allow!

Solution: replace the power supply adapter with a 12V 10A one for about £7 to £8.

This product was designed 4 or 5 years ago when Seagate and other disk drives were 5-volt @ 0.75-amps + 12-volt @ 0.43-amps, thus when this product was first launched 4 x 3TB drives would use just 4.72 Amps {(0.75+0.43) x 4 = 4.72} so 5.42 was more than ample. No longer the case though. However this is easily rectified at a small cost.

The higher 'draw' in the current on newer HDD will cause the unit to drop-off from the PC under heavy load. Current is more important than voltage or wattage ( Watts = Voltage x Amperage). Amps are very important as they represent the flow of electricity and when this is too high for the PSU = problems. Hence 4-Stars and not 5.

Anyway, that aside this is a great product. Aluminium casing (apart from top/bottom) and not plastic like others have stated. I used this non-stop yesterday for 11 hours and copied 4TB of data across and it never even became warm, it remained cold to the touch.

The auto-fan works well and did not need to be manually adjusted.

Noise is non-existent, totally silent operation. At one point I pressed my ear to the side of the unit and all I heard was a small slight humming sound (barely audible).

When inactive it powers down the internal drives - the drive lights (blue) shut off whilst the main power light (green) remains on, then when you click on File Explorer and select the drives (the never disappear from windows) disappear briefly and then reappear - just like you had recently attached or switched them on. Not a problem really, only a slight delay. Anyone who has used AI Suite to enable 'Turbo' or 'UASP' on a USB 3.0 drive will recognise this phenomenon whilst switching modes (depends on if you have right Asus MOBO to do this).

Conclusion: Would I buy another one? Absolutely yes, maybe in the not so distant future i might need one. Spent all day yesterday transferring files onto it, then spent last night watching TV shows (mp4/avi/mkv) on it, switching between drives and is seamless and plays without any delays or glitches. NEVER DISCONNECTED, NOT ONCE. Really happy with this, so would highly recommend to others.

FEB 2014 UPDATE : TOOK APART EXTERNAL 750GB MAXTOR HDD AND PUT INTO 4TH BAY AND WORKS GREAT, ABOUT 100MB/S TRANSFER AS IS OLDER HDD THUS CHANGED TO 5-STAR. WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER ONE OF THESE TO INCORPORATE OLDER HDD (PRIMARILY FOR BACKUP OF DSLR VIDEO/PHOTOS)

*** JUN 2014 UPDATE: added a 4th 3TB HDD instead of older 750GB one, and is performing beautifully - 170MB/s consistent Write speeds ***

++++ ALSO NOTE: RUNNING PRODUCT 'ALWAYS ON' 14-15 Hours/Day AND ZERO PROBLEMS, NEVER DISCONNECTS +++++++++

DEC 2015 Update: Running this unit 7 days a week, minimum of 12-14 hours per day (often 24 hours - overnight when downloading large video files). Never a single problem. Other reviews state BIZARRE criticisms like "trays will not withstand the test of time" when THERE ARE NO TRAYS, just grooves in the side of the unit for HDDs to slide in. Issues with fans and ventilation are easily resolved with proper use and correct positioning (in a well ventilated place not on the floor or in a confined space etc)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jan 2014 09:10:28 GMT
Thank you for your extensive and very positive review. Regarding the power supply, I checked with Hornettek about the power supply and they replied 'No thats not a concern. Although the adapter is rated at 5.42A, it boosts up to 8A at peak. Also, 6A that he (Derek) mentions is close to peak rate. The average working Amp for a 3.5" HDD is measured at 0.8~1.2Amp (80Gb-4Tb).
I hope that clarifies things.
Regards,
Tiel [Storage Depot]

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 17:30:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jan 2014 17:36:44 GMT
Thank you for this response, the clarification is most welcome.

Also just like to add that the product photos do not do this piece of kit justice - I've posted my own images here (http://postimg.org/gallery/1618trsc/). It really is a lovely solidly built item that is both tactile & compact.

Posted on 14 Apr 2014 02:35:09 BDT
D-Rich says:
Like the review. Could you please post more info on the power adapter you upgraded with.
Is it dc output to the drive case, or is it ac output to it? model number of adapter would be nice so that folks could purchase the exact one you did.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2014 11:25:01 BDT
Did not need to update, as per other comment from the seller Storage Depot above. I can confirm that I am now using all 4 drive bays and this device is switched on all day, every day, without any problems whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2014 13:24:47 BDT
I have used one of these with 4 drives working OK for about a year with no issues - a drive only uses the maximum amount of power when it first spins up
If you look at big servers systems with LOTS of HDDs they have a staggered spin up controlled by the system to stop excessive power being drawn at power up
The drives in mine are available 24/7 as it is not switched off - the drives (WD Green) go to sleep when not being used and spin back up when required
I notice that when the PC is booted up the drives are accessed in order as I see the lights on the front light up one by one as they are checked as part of the start-up of my Windows 7 machine

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2014 14:07:43 BDT
I always boot-up my PC with all external drives switched off, then I power on the Hornettek JBOD when I need to access those drives (usually a few minutes after starting up my PC) and I observe the same as you...Green power light comes on immediately then every couple of seconds each of the 4 HDDs spins on with each consecutive Blue light being illuminated. Then I leave it switched on all day/evenings, accessing the various drives throughout the day without any lag i.e. they do not appear to spin down or enter some sort of 'sleep' mode - they are always instantly available.

I am slightly concerned about the always on nature of these Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives as the manufacturer claims expected lifetime usage of about 300,000 writes/rewrites or approximately 2,400 hours of physical drive reading/writing time and/or the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) of around 500,000 hours or roughly half that of the more expensive NAS specific Seagate HDDs.

Then I remember that my drives come with a 2-year warranty (the Seagare NAS drives have 3-years) plus even if I'm using them for 15 hours a day (which I am), every day, so 365 days/year = 5,475 hours of total use per annum. Realistically, if I get 5-6 years usage out of these drives then I'd be happy, because by that time we'll all be using Petabyte drives and I'll have all my stuff backed up by then anyway (I'm already copying important files and pics/videos onto older 750GB and 1TB drives that I connect with a simple USB 3.0 2.5/3.5 inch cradle, then I put these bare drives into plastic bags and keep in a drawer).

All drives will fail eventually, so back up key stuff like PDFs, Excel/Word/Access/PowerPoint files, as well as pictures and videos (especially those no longer available to download) onto physical DVDs, memory sticks (32GB cost just Ä17), portable USB 3.0 HDD and even older 500GB or 750GB Maxtor drives (like the ones I removed from older USB 2 enclosures). I have even taken a 60GB 2.5 inch drive from my 2007 Sony PS3 and backed up key Microsoft Office files onto it and put it away in a safe place.

Posted on 8 Apr 2015 12:49:52 BDT
Adam_UK says:
I currently have 4 HDDs in the enclosure now and the enclosure can't seem to handle them all running at once. They keep ejecting from my computer, requiring a restart of the enclosure. I'm thinking this must be to do with power supply?

I understand that the manufacturer states that a power adapter upgrade is unnecessary but I think I would be more comfortable changing it anyway. Data is important - once it's gone, it's gone! If anyone could help by pointing me towards a power supply upgrade then I'd be grateful.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2015 16:05:22 BDT
Adam, Have you tried running it successfully with just 3 drives? If so, then it may be a PSU issue. The other alternative is to check out the power consumption of each HDD you are using, they should state both Amps & Volts (Watts = Amps x Volts) or Wattage consumed, then perhaps use less power-hungry drives.

As I stated in my review it is possible to buy another 12V (output, but 100V to 240V input from the AC or wall socket) power adapter, just make sure that it has 7 or 8 Amps at a minimum, and of course check the plug size (& polarity settings) to make sure that it will actually insert into the Hornettek JBOD. The important point is the diameter of the plug.

Finally, it may not be a power problem at all, it could be Software-related -> go to Device Manager and "UNINSTALL" USB drivers, then re-install them and connect your external USB 3.0 HDD box. Nine times out of ten, external drives being dropped continuously is a driver issue.

Start with fewer drives installed, just 2 or 3 if problem still occurs then definitely not a power problem but a driver software one.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2015 16:21:40 BDT
Adam_UK says:
Hi Derek, many thanks for your quick reply.

I've had the enclosure running on three HDDs for a few months with only one or two dropouts when I was writing data to all three drives at the same time (I should have known better anyway). It's only when I add the fourth drive in that they begin to dropout more frequently - I've had about 4 today since I stuck the 4th drive in - and that's whilst only moving files from one of the HDDs, the others were idling.

I suppose that a replacement adapter is best bought from a shop so that diameters of the plug tips can be compared.

My drives aren't that eco-friendly but I was hoping to avoid having to purchase new drives until I run out of capacity.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2015 16:29:32 BDT
Adam_UK says:
Can I also ask please - you mention that the fan speed is automatic? Is that correct? I've just been adjusting mine manually. If I keep it on the lowest setting, will it increase automatically when required?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›