on 13 October 2013
Beautifully written in a poetic style, Every Eye is a rich book full of imagery. I found it hard to read in long stints as it was quite verbose, it felt like a lot was packed into a short book.

Every Eye is the overlap of two stories, Hatty on her Ibiza honeymoon with her younger husband and a story from the past. As Hatty looks back on her life and reflects, the reader learns how her past is affecting her in the present day.

I'm not entirely sure that I understood it properly, and would benefit from another reading to fully understand all the complexities of the plot. However, I didn't warm to Hatty or her husband Stephen throughout the book and am not sure whether I will ever reread Every Eye. I will seek out further writings by Isobel English though, as reading her work reminded me of the first overpowering hit when gulping mulled wine- powerful, with a long lasting impact.

This wouldn't be a Persephone book I would particularly recommend, but the writing style was eloquent and impactive.

6/10 (Beautiful tone of the writing, marks lost as the plot had me confused)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink