on 15 November 2002
I read this book straight after I'd seen the film, which had absolutely mesmerised me. Samantha Morton is an absolutely brilliant actress, whilst Lynne Ramsay is such an assured and inspired director. There are lots of differences between the book and the film, but that is no bad thing as a lot of the book would not translate well to the screen.
From the start, Warner presents us with a very unusual style - it is seen through Morvern's eyes, and like most people, she has phrases which she reverts to time and time again in order to describe things - the one that springs to mind is "I used the goldish lighter on a Silk Cut." (I don't think I will ever get that sentence out of my head, it was repeated so many times!). Repeated too was the desciptions of various beautifying regimes that Morvern performs, eg. her nail varnish. I got a little suspicious of Warner's repeated references to certain colours of nail varnish or lipstick, as I wasn't sure that it wasn't aan easy way of trying to penetrate the feminine sphere. Another reference that was arguably heavy-handed was references to Morvern's periods. However, I wouldn't condemn Warnerout of hand for these tricks - they simply build up an idea of Morvern as an insular, self-possessed solitary figure.
I read this book in the course of 2 days and couldn't wait to get back to it when I put it down. I think it's a real achievement that the central issue of the novel, that of the boyfriend's corpse, is basically buried (rather fittingly) - and it remains a secret between the reader and Morvern. She is certainly one of the most exciting, individual and complex protaganists I have met for a long time. Well done, Alan Warner -
I must read your other works!
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?