on 1 August 2013
I was very intrigued by the premise of this short story collection. As a fan of classic fairy tales, I looked forward to reading love stories with the promise of a "twisted perspective". Unfortunately this collection did not live up to expectations for me.

My main problem was the writing style. Rather than a storytelling voice, I think the stories have more of a stream of consciousness kind of voice; particularly Another New Beginning and The Promise. Maybe that was the tone the author was going for; dreamy and journal entry like rather than a conventional beginning-middle-end structure. But I did not find that satisfying at all.

I understand that some of the stories were modern takes on old ideas, but the mish-mash of language just did not work. Take for example, The Tale of the Tower which is a new take on a classic tale. It should either have been set in the modern world with modern language or in the 'olde' world with language appropriate to it. At one point, a character walks through a "..marketplace...men shouting their wares" which depicts the hustle and bustle of a traditional market. A short while later, however, we find a tower "adequately equipped with twin beds" which reads like a hotel room description.

The use of both formal and informal language was a bit irritating. One of the characters asks for "..a blade, one that I may keep hidden on my person?" while another asks,"Are you OK My Lady?" Lady was sometimes spelt with a capital 'L' and sometimes not. The word babe was used as well as baby and Mum as well as Mother. I feel the author should have stuck to one style. Throughout the collection 'OK' was used far too much.

My favourite story was Heart of Ice, even though it was rather long winded. It was disturbing, yes, but that's the kind of "twisted perspective" that was promised. The kitten story was also a cute idea.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details