Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - but still some room for improvement, 22 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Gaggia Gelatiera 74500N Ice Cream Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Firstly, this product is great, we love it. Having fresh ice cream for our family in minutes is a joy. How often do you walk past the discounted section in tescos and see piles of cream reduced to clear? Quite often if our store is anything to go by, and now we have a use for it. My daughter is also wheat intollerant and lactose intollerant. If you buy the chocolate soya milkshake and use that instead of cream, the results are fab.
So it works, but what are the improvements required?
1) The inner bowl is made from aluminium. We are probably supposed to wash it by hand, but it goes in the dishwasher and has a black tint to it now. I would have expected it to be stainless steel.
2) The bowl has a plastic tube in the middle. Again, I worry that this will not age well. The forces that the machine creates are strong and the bowl is kept still by a plastic lug touching a plastic lug. Again, stainless steel would make it feel longer lasting.
3) The machine is not as easy to clean as I'd hoped. There are 4 phillips screws close to the bowl which it's easy to get splashes into, but not so easy to wipe out. I would have thought that the whole area would have been a single smooth moulding.
4) The lid has square corners and these have little mini lugs on the machine. Again these are possible dirt traps and mean what should be a quick wipe clear takes a good deal longer.
5) The lid has a handle that is held on by a screw. The lid can get quite sticky as the ice cream rises as the air folds in and needs to go in the dishwasher. A single piece dishwasher safe design would be better.
6) If you use the inner bowl (which makes cleaning much easier) you need to give it a shot of vodka/gin. This allows the cold to transfer into the bowl. I suppose I could use meths or denatured alcohol, but these are not suitable for human consumption so I avoid. I tend to find that a shot is required every time, which means quite a bit of vodka is required if you use the machine.
7) Space - this is a machine that needs space. It's about the size of an A3 poster and 30cm high. Once out, it stays out as if you move it, you have to wait 24 hours for the refrigerants to settle (just like a fridge then). It's also weighty. It is also quite noisy - I am trying to think of an analog - perhaps it's as noisy as my dishwasher - but the sound is more mechanical.
8) You need a mixer/blender to blend up the ingredients before putting in the machine. Why? The machine is like a slow food processor. Why not give it a 30 second fast mix function so everything goes straight into the bowl. The result is more washing up at present and more mess.
We've had ours now for about 4 months and we use it 2 or 3 times a week. The best time to show off is when you have guests round for dinner. You pre-load the machine and as you sit down to your starters, you turn it on. By the time everyone is ready for desert, it is ready. Our favourite recipes are chocolate and raspberry - use fresh frozen rasperries as they are cheap and just stir in pure cocoa powder (it converts automatically into milk chocolate).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jan 2008 14:35:20 GMT
James T says:
You say all these things wrong with it then give it a perfect score. It annoys me when people do this.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2008 13:34:46 GMT
Yeah, seems weird. I guess that's one reason to hit "unhelpful"....

Posted on 11 Feb 2009 19:36:47 GMT
espinasseur says:
Thank you for these most helpful comments. I do sincerely hope that you have been able to send these most useful comments to Gaggia -- and I would expect them to pay you for these valid suggestions for improvement.
PS: I appreciate your comments because we have had a big (and expensive -- paid about £450.00 several years ago) Magimix which had a plastic bit in the middle (which churned the ice cream: and this plastic piece has now cracked and there is no replacement part available -- and thus we are left with a large, heavy machine (still in its prime) but we cannot make any ice cream with it. Hence I am looking at a new ice cream maker. Why didn't the manufacturer think of the fact that a frozen piece of plastic was not going to last for long with the task of churning a frozen and near-solid mixture??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›