on 23 January 2003
Groove Armada have produced an excellent album in Lovebox. Their music has moved position slightly from a leftfield, lounging sound to a more upfront and, dare I say it, rocky kind of sound. First couple of tracks I was thinking - wow, guitar driven - by the end I was immersed completely in GA's dubby janglings.
But the primary reason I bought this SACD was to see what could be done with the format. I *had* dismissed the SACD circuitry in my top-end DVD player as a gimmick and had only given the time of day to a couple of tracks on the sampler SACD included in the box. I'd used some really cheap interconnects and thought that would be good enough.
When Amazon.co.uk delivered Lovebox to me, I slipped it into the player and was totally blown away by the production and positioning in all the speakers normally devoted to DVD only. So much so, that I had to buy new leads for the audio outputs from the DVD specifically for SACD. The clarity on the disc is fantastic: put it in a CD player and it sounds good, put it into a two-channel SACD player and it's great, put it in a multi-channel SACD player and hold on to something, Dorothy, "cause Kansas is going bye-bye."
A great investment if you have an SACD player; a superb bit of music too.
0Comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?