on 26 April 2014
This was an urgent purchase, after my old HP inkjet printer gave up in the middle of a long document. I needed one delivered the same day so I bought it almost blindly without researching it properly. My criteria were a simple, black and white, quick and non-fussy laser printer. This turned out to be a great choice.

The best things about it:

1. It is easy to set up, it took me about 20 minutes to have the printer out of the box, plugged in and set up for wireless printing.

2. It is small and sturdy, in a compact square shape that takes up little space on my desk. I was a bit skeptical when I read on another review that the paper trays are flimsy but I found them normal. On a solid surface and with no unreasonable pressure, I don't see that anything would go wrong.

3. Really fast initialisation. It starts printing at the click of a mouse. You don't have to wait for the printer to warm up, and it's refreshing to no longer have the frustration of inkjet cartridge cleaning every time you initiate a print job.

4. The printing speed is fantastic. It prints flowingly, without too much noise, about 20 pages per minute. No paper jams yet.

5. Reliable wireless printing (although it does come with a USB cable too). I print from my PC, from my iPad and from my Chromebook, and wi-fi connection has never dropped so far.

6. Very good quality black and white prints, clear and crisp, and you can choose to use the eco feature to save toner by removing graphics and formatting.

And the rest:

- What this printer does not have, is automatic double-sided printing. However, it does give you a semi-automatic `print on both sides' option, which is surprisingly easy and efficient: If you check this option, then your document is printed by skipping a page and once it finishes you simply feed the printed pages again as a bunch (you don't need to sort them as the printer does this for you), and the full document is then printed double-sided. It's very simple and quick and I do print mostly double-sided.

- The main thing that bugs me about this printer is that it uses up quite a lot of toner. And the Samsung toner cartridges for this model cost anything between £35 - £48 on Amazon, so they are not exactly cheap. In my case the printer came with a brand new and full toner (or so says the Samsung printer manager when I set it up). This is supposedly meant to last for about 1,000 pages, but after a few weeks of moderate use I am getting an indication that the toner is now at 55%, and I have not printed nowhere near even 250 pages, and always print with the eco feature on.

So my only real issue is the toner cost - other than that, this is a great printer, at a great price.
50 people found this helpful