on 18 November 2012
I am an admirer of Salman Rushdie's work; having read all of his fiction he is of course an excellent writer and Midnight's Children is a masterpiece. As such, I had been waiting with eager anticipation for the publication of Joesph Anton, a detailed account of his life during the appalling fatwa, and along with many thousands, pre-ordered my copy. However, I have given up reading it (an act that I normally regard as unforgiveable) because, I am afraid to say, I found it dull.

Despite the importance of the events being described and my admiration for Mr Rushdie himself, the narrative rambles on with a cast of thousands and the same points are repeated over and over again. I really didn't like the way people appear to be divided into either 'for me" or "against me" camps and the latter always being dismissed as either unintelligent, bigotted or with low motives. For a book all about free speach it is ironic that everyone with a different point of view seems to be castigated! I found this quite irritating.

I can't imagine how awful living such a restricted life for years must be and perhaps this is reflected in the style of writing- so I may be being unfair. Nonetheless I did give up and decided to move on to something else.
11 Comment| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details