on February 20, 2013
Pretty much everything Mr Cave releases meets with a 5 star approval in my world. That is up until the release of Dig Lazarus Dig, which was still a great album by anyones standards but in my opinion Ellis's influence had just grown too strong, and with it, the album too loud. Stangely enough I prefered Grinderman doing similar material.
Anyway, onto Push the Sky Away and I was excited to hear that the Bad Seeds would be reverting to a more stripped down, sparse, ballady effort. The Boatmans Call or And No More Shall We Part, mark 2 came to mind, or at least that's what I was hoping for.
At times the album does deliver, from the gentle opener of We no who U R, and into Cave at his best in Wide lovely Eyes. But from there the album stutters along with intermittent highlights of Jubilee Street, Higgs Boson Blues and Push the Sly Away. But more often than not I was left questioning would any of the remaining songs make it onto previous albums. In my opinion, they wouldnt. Furtherly frustrating was that this album seemed to lack another 3 or 4 songs. It just seems incomplete, or more like an extended EP.
I'm as big a Cave fan as you can get and still like this album, but overall it disappointed me in content, lyrics, music and length and it just felt like a very lazy effort (and perhaps missed Mick Harveys input). I've now had the albumon repeat for a while now hoping it would grow on me but find myself getting increasingly bored by it.
By most artist's standards this is still a very good album, but by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds standards... I would struggle to put this into their top 12 albums.
A mixed review from me hence the 3 stars only.
1212 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?