3.0 out of 5 stars The film has changed Becky for the worse., 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6) (Hardcover)
I finally caught up recently with the awful film which altered Becky from being goodhearted, hardworking and fairly responsible in the first book into completely ditzy, irritating and immature and unfortunately this has now infected Kinsella's writing. Becky's character in this is a million miles from the character we could all identify with and love in the first 3 books...I cannot imagine this Becky paying her way on a flatshare without complaints or excuses, cleverly helping her neighbours get back their money from a sharp practising insurance company, bravely and hilariously going for a job as a fund manager, or trying however disastrously to clear her debts. This Becky has completely regressed to the point where she is not even funny and unfortunately her child is just like her.

I can still laugh out loud at my dogeared copies of Secret Dreamworld, Abroad and Ties the Knot, and this one raises only a few smiles. Kinsella seems now to be writing for the American market so it's a rather unbelievable picture of the British which reminded me of a romcom starring Hugh Grant. Everybody's rich, everybody owns huge houses/stately homes/or doesn't need to work (much). There is nobody to identify with or like in this, I found it more irritating than amusing when Becky is aghast at having to wear all her clothes 3 times before buying any new ones when for most of us especialy in these times 300 times is the norm. Even her mother I found annoying for the first time when she's appalled at the thought of having to go to a pound shop and not spending £4 on a jar of jam. I even disliked Luke for the first time, who comes across as really self and work obsessed and actually obnoxious. As for the plot it's several strands some of which peter out towards the end, and instead of Becky having to really use her brains to get out of a mess like she has done before...surprise! she gets bailed out again.

The writing is as fast paced as ever and it's fine if you're in the mood for something brainless to take your mind off current reality but I can't say just how disappointed I am that a genuinely funny and cut above the average chick lit series has mutated into something so banal. Becky is set up to go to Hollywood next which should suit her new character down to a tee. I'm glad I read this from the library...I shall have to think long and hard about even buying the paperback next year. What a shame.

I reread Kinsella's Can You Keep a Secret which is still as funny as ever with a very endearing and likeable heroine. Come on Sophie, get back to a bit of realism for the next one, and hopefully I can give you 5 stars again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jan 2011, 16:10:16 GMT
Lambie says:
I so agree with you. I read Secret Dreamworld, Abroad, Ties the Knot (at which point I was beginning to become irritated but carried on regardless). I couldn't wait to finish "and Baby" although it didn't make me laugh and like you, felt worlds apart from Becky's lifestyle with nothing whatsoever to relate to. i haven't bought Minnie but won't bother after reading most of these reviews. Thank you!

Posted on 7 Jan 2011, 20:24:24 GMT
Little My says:
I can't comment on whether Rececca is becoming like in the movie, for I haven't seen it and never will (unless someone forces me to). But I can only agree with your observation that the characters have become rather unlikable and stereotypical. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that "Shopaholic goes to Hollywood" (or whatever the next book will be called) will be as good as the first ones.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2011, 16:26:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2011, 16:33:45 GMT
rosebrid says:
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Am really really missing the old set up of Becky and Suze in their grottyish Fulham flat, yes we knew Suze was wealthy but you could so relate to the life they had in such a heartwarming funny way.....I blame that Luke Brandon. Grrr.

Seriously, have got less and less interested in the series with each successive book, it's much harder to find Becky endearing and/or funny when she has a millionaire husband to bail her out of trouble and inexplicably put up with her stupidities. That's probably the core of what is wrong with the last few books.

I suppose I shall succumb into reading the next one but seeing that LaLa Land is even further removed from reality am not holding my breath.

Posted on 27 Jan 2012, 13:47:24 GMT
Jan says:
As a huge fan of the early books, I was buying them as they were released. I even loved the none Becky Books. However for some inexplicable reason I have never got round to reading this book. Maybe the movie put me off - I hated it!
Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I will put my money to better use.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›