5.0 out of 5 stars Are you new to Kindle?, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display (Electronics)
Up to this point I was completely against Kindle's for a number of reasons of which I'll discuss in the hopes to reassure people like me that the Kindle is the way forward. First of all let me tell you why I chose the Kindle Touch. For me, Kindle Touch seemed the most inviting because I was used to Touch screen but I was still a little worried about it's features. So here's what I was worried about and what I found out:

1. I was worried about the sensitivity of the touch screen: The Touch IS sensitive but in a great way - it takes only a very light tap or brush of the finger to turn the page. Additionally there are features which mean that if you press a certain area of the "page" or screen you can go forward, backwards or bring up some further options (like adding annotations or going to a specific page). In comparison to other touch screens, like the iphone let's say, it's less sensitive in my opinion. In particular, if you wanted to scroll down the page of a website (because yes, you can use the internet too) this is bit less sensitive and also, it can take a second or two to refresh the page that you're scrolling down to because of the E-ink mechanism.

2. What would this E-Ink mechanism actually mean for my reading experience?: Well E-ink to be honest just looks like any other reading format, the difference you'll notice is that when you change the page the screen refreshes almost instantly OR it will flash. Now this flashing can happen after every page if you set your Kindle to refresh it's E-ink after each page. Why would you want to do that? Well some people have noticed some sort of "ghosting" which essentially means you can still very faintly see the words from the previous page. I have never noticed this myself (probably because these people are experiencing a fault of some sort rather than a drawback of the Kindle). But anyway, you can select this option to refresh your ink and get a shiny new page. For me, E-ink is great. It takes a bit longer if you use the internet for the Kindle to refresh but overall you'd never know it wasn't just as always.

3. Would I be able to download books straight to my Kindle or is there a "middle man" if you don't have 3G?: At first I thought that maybe you'd need to hook up your Kindle to your computer in order to download books - like any other USB stick - but that's not the case at all. The Wi-Fi options for the standard Kindle Touch means that as long as you have an internet connection and a wireless connection to join you can download books onto your Kindle at any time. For example, if you're in a "hotspot" and you join the wireless network (which is simply one button push on the kindle) you can download straight away. The drawback maybe if you don't have 3G is that you can't do this ANYWHERE you can only do it where there's a wi-fi connection to join. With the 3G you can do this absolutely anywhere you like and amazon funds it. Personally, I chose the standard Touch because I don't travel a great deal but also if I knew I was going to be travelling I would just stock up on e-books before I left - therefore I wouldn't need 3G. But of course, if you're away for a great deal of time this may not be appropriate but for any week or two week holiday stocking up should be fine.

4.Can I keep my books forever? Well that seems to be the case because you have an "Archive" within amazon. Much like when you purchase a book normally, you have a previous history of purchases in your account which shows what you've bought and how much it cost you. Well now with Kindle you have a log of all of the e-books you download which is great because if you were to lose your Kindle, bought a new one or yours became damaged and was replaced you can go straight into this archive and re-download everything you already had. This is a tiny bit different for newspaper subscriptions in that after 7 years they delete because the Kindle deems them as out-of-date. BUT if you're not happy about this you simply archive certain articles or an entire paper so that you can keep it until you choose to delete it.

5.Would I miss books?: It's tricky because my favourite authors or books I know I'll love I still buy in paperback because sometimes a good book on a shelf is nice to look at. But no I don't really miss books because I still have them just I don't have to hold a heavy book in my hand anymore. And actually, I was getting tired of having book dents in my hands from where heavy books had been digging in whilst I'd been reading. I don't think the Kindle should be looked at as a book replacer unless you're looking for that. It has everything you could possibly want out of a book so it could be used in that way but for me, and I think for a lot of us, the Kindle is a way of reducing luggage whilst travelling, book dents in our hands and it's just something different and new for reading. For children, this thing makes reading seem fun but for adults it's an add-on to the reading experience. So what I'm saying is, don't look at the Kindle as the end to books, just as a different way to read if you wanted to - you can still read books too and have them age on your shelf.

6.Would it be too difficult to use?: Not in the slightest! This is something I was really concerned about because for some people reading is a relaxing way to spend our time and adding technology to it would inevitably confuse us right? Wrong. This is such a simple but brilliant device that has everything so easily laid out and structured that it's obvious how to use it. There's also a free e-book which comes on your Kindle that you can read straight away which is a step-by-step of how to use your Kindle. After reading maybe half of this I was well on my way. The buttons are not ambigious, they are very well labelled and categorised so that it's easy to see what you're looking for. The "Menu" button is your best friend because it brings up all these options for you.

7.Will it remember my page?: If you want it to, yes. There are bookmarking options but also the standby option. What this means is that, if you leave your Kindle for a short while it will put itself into standby whilst remembering what you were last looking at. Additionally you can tell it go into standby by very briefly touching the on-off button. Also, this button is well out of reach of being pushed by accident because it's right down the button and on the edge of the Kindle.

8.Are Kindle books more expensive?: That again was something I wondered about because to me, whats the point in buying a kindle if the books cost just as much. Well Kindle books range in price as you'd expect but a lot of them are FREE. Some other books are the same price as paperback, some are more expensive but these prices fluctuate. I've found the Kindle most useful for books which aren't published in paperback but are published as e-books. Some of my favourite authors write smaller novellas to go between their main novels which are only available in e-book format so that's a fantastic addition for me. I've found that a lot of the books I read, predominately young adult, are much cheaper in Kindle format so it's worked out well for me. I have noticed though that new books are often very close to the same price as a paperback so if you only read newly published books this might be something to take into consideration if you're just looking to save money.

But is there anything I don't like? At the moment, after having used it religiously, I just can't find anything worth mentioning. You can have free books, cheaper books sometimes too, it's easy to use and it looks quite nice too. If I had to pick something I'd pick the web browser feature.

Web browser feature: This feature had a couple of issues for me because initially my Kindle decided that even though all my settings were for UK that my primary source for the Kindle Store should be Amazon US. Now as I live in the UK I didn't really understand this but after using the browser to search for amazon UK it re-set itself and figured out that I'd be buying my books from the UK site. Additionally, something that annoyed me a little bit is the e-ink capabilities for web browsers. If you were to scroll down the page it's jumpy and quite slow because the ink has to reset and reprint new information - this is very different to turning a page in your book so don't think this will be the case whilst reading, it's just the web browser. Now the Kindle has labelled this feature as "experimental" so I suppose you have to expect some room for development. Still, it does the job and I'm able to buy e-books which is all I really wanted the feature for anyway.

So overall, if you're like I was and you're worrying that the Kindle just isn't for you then hopefully I've addressed some of the worries you might have. If there's anything I've missed out please comment below and I'll try my best to answer your question. The Kindle Touch is a great device. I can't compare it to previous Kindle's because I haven't owned one but I can more than recommend this - it's completely changed my mind about e-readers. Hope this helps.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-40 of 62 posts in this discussion
Posted on 21 Jun 2012, 11:54:35 BST
W. Swales says:

Posted on 21 Jun 2012, 14:06:21 BST
Mrs. E says:
Hi, I want to thank you for taking the time to write this great review!!!
I am planning to give a kindle to my parents who are avid reader non-English speakers (they live in South America). Does it work well in other continents? also, is the dictionary only an English one or does it have dictionary for other languages?
In terms of charging, can you charge it from the main electricity socket? what's the voltage permitted on them?
Thanks in advance

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2012, 19:46:07 BST
Careful Mr Swales - according to the dictionary on my brand-new Kindle, it's THESAURUS!!! - and I have never checked my spelling as carefully as I have in this post!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2012, 20:33:51 BST
Last edited by the author on 21 Jun 2012, 20:40:08 BST
Bex says:
Thanks Mrs E, as far as I'm aware it works just the same in other continents. As for the dictionary though, it has the built in English dictionary but otherwise you have to download the dictionary you require and alter the settings to change the primary dictionary. So it is possible but it's an additional purchase. Also, yes you can charge it from the mains if you want to (although it doesn't come with a plug so that's another additional purchase).

Posted on 27 Jun 2012, 21:55:24 BST
Julie says:
Hi, great review. Do you need your own wireless connection? Still have broadband via modem. Julie

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2012, 12:14:11 BST
Hi Julie,

The Kindle will connect to "hotspots" so you can connect to those to download content - some of these might ask for a password but you can get this from the hotspot that you are in if you ask. Similarly you can download content via your computer and it will transfer straight to the kindle. However, it does help to have your own wireless connection if you want to download right there and then so that you don't have to use a hotspot or your computer but it isn't essential.

Posted on 30 Jun 2012, 12:16:43 BST
can i ask a question, can anyone tell me which is the better kindle to go for as am new to the kindle world i have always been a book lover and didn't want to go to the dark side of kindle ;) is the new touch or the kindle 4 (without keyboard) better?

Posted on 5 Jul 2012, 14:23:33 BST
A. Smith says:
this is such a good review, I obviously don't know what you do for a living but reviewing shouldn't be far away. Good work.

Posted on 5 Jul 2012, 15:57:51 BST
Teresa Page says:
Excellent review. Like others I have been in two minds about buying a kindle touch, but you have answered all my questions and more, I am now going to place my order, Thank you so much

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012, 17:03:15 BST
Bex says:
Thanks to all the posters who have left such lovely comments! It's great to hear that I've been able to help in some way and that more and more people are trying the kindle :).