on 4 January 2013
I knew very little about Far Cry 3 for a long time. I've never played the first or second, and it wasn't until I saw it at number 1 of the amazon games chart I noticed it. Thank God I did because this is in my opinion, is one of the best games of 2012.

Far Cry 3 is an open world first-person shooter video game, set on a tropical island found somewhere at the intersection of the Indian and Pacific Oceans. When a member of a group of vacationers are kidnapped by a pirate lord and slave trader (Vass) escapes from the pirates, he must fight for survival, train, and attempt to save his friends before it's too late.

Let me start by saying how amazing the plot of the game is, from the minute the game opens you are hooked. The plot is dark, twisted, and gets deeper and deeper as you progress through the game. The characters, (particularly the lead Jason and main antagonist Vass) are brilliant, well developed and acted. The development of Jason is some of the best I've ever seen in a game, going from a scared young man who's never fired a weapon, to a bloodthirsty killer, becoming something he is fighting against. Vass is brilliant, he's twisted, he's sick, he's witty (particularly at the start) and is in my opinion the best villain in gaming this year.

The graphics and setting are also fantastic, the island is literally alive. The pirates are always actively hunting you down, searching for you on foot and in vehicles. The same can be said about wildlife, which are fantastic additions to the game. I'll never forget viewing a tiger chasing deer on the other side of a river where a crocodile was to attack me. Brilliant.

Vehicles are also a plus, differing from jeeps, to boats, to hand gliders, all of which are fun to use.
The game has a number of side missions, all of which are diverse and extremely fun to play. These include killing antagonists for rewards, delivering items in set times, hunting down animals for crafting, reclaiming radio towers to unlock numerous features, infiltrating and taking over pirate bases. All of this on top of a lengthy campaign adds up to hours of game play.

The multi-player is also pretty good, particularly the co-op maps. There are the classics such as deathmatch and some interesting original additions. I can't really say much about the multi-player because it doesn't really appeal to me. I came to the game for an incredible story and that is what I got.

In conclusion, this game is excellent, and is amongst my top 5 games of 2012. Its well-worth the price, providing and excellent story and open world experience. A fantastic game throughout.

Final Verdict:
Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: 10/10
Open-World Setting: 10/10
Story: 10/10
Multiplayer: 7/10
Action: 10/10
OVERALL: 9.5/10 (5 Stars)
33 people found this helpful