Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now A Simple Favour A Simple Favour A Simple Favour Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Learn more

11 March 2014
Amardeep Thinqir ("Deep" for his friends, but he doesn't have any) is 14 years old and lives in a poor family in South London. His Father is Muslim, so Deep has to be too, and his stepmum drinks. One day, on his way from school, Deep stops before the tallest building he has ever seen, because some outlandish things are happening there. As a wanna-be adventurer Deep decides to get to the bottom of it, or better to the top, because there's a girl screaming from the rooftop, and that is something Deep has to amend. So Deep enters the building.

What happens next is hard to say. In any case, the book can not easily be assigned to any specific genre. If I would say something like Alice-in-Wonderland meets The Three little Pigs meets Jaw I would not be right. What begins as an absurd funny story changes to one of the darkest matters conceivable, mixes with fairytale-ish horror only to break through the fourth wall to the reader (meta-fiction at its best). I won't reveal the end, but it moves me to read the book again. By knowing the end, the book reads certainly quite different.

I think Craig Stone manages to balance perfectly on the thin line between comedy, tragedy and nightmares and dreamscapes. This is probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I like to sip from this kind of story any day. Our hero Deep is not saying much ("a cat got his tongue"), but his deep thoughts, that is Deep's thoughts, off the mind of a fourteen-year-old, have moved this reader to think. I would imagine that the basic statements of the book, the thoughts of a deep thinker, can polarize the readership, and will lead to negative reviews. Be it as it may, I thank the author for his boldness - baldness? both!

Unconditional reading recommendation on my part!
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink