Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Now Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now

on 27 December 2013
Bought 21/12/2013, received 23/12/2013, initiated return process 27/12/2013.

The card worked fine (and FAST!) for a few days, until... I found corrupted photos!

So I ran h2testw and found 18MB data lost. The next time I ran, 112 MB data was lost!

Now barely 4 days later, it took 10+ minutes to write ONE photo in the camera. Even my 10-year-old SD beats that time by a comfortable margin.

Putting it in my PC basically hangs it as Windows tries to read the card (in vain due to all the corrupted data).

Now let's hope Amazon refund me my money. >_< I promise to stick to Lexar or Sandisk from now on. -_-

A bit more background:

If you are not familiar with h2testw, it's a widely used tool to test card integrity (e.g. to detect counterfeit cards). It simply writes data to the card and verifies the written data to ensure no data lost. Very simple but elegant concept.

The behaviour of this Komputerbay CF is similar to some "replacement" crap eBay memory cards. I suspect very low quality memory chip (probably Lexar rejects) was used which die relatively quickly. The "hope" is that the card would fail catastrophically after the warranty / return period is over. If you take a few photos a week, it MAY last you a bit more than a year. If you go 600 in half a day like I do... oh well... should have known better...

So read the positive reviews with a grain of salt (or a whole jar of salt in my opinion). It may not have failed yet but it probably will... soon... like now...
0Comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?