VINE VOICEon 27 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Now I rarely talk about packaging but in this case I will make an exception. These speakers come beautifully packaged in a very well made box that splits in two revealing equally beautifully designed speakers. They really are much smaller than the product image on the page makes them look and they would be pretty unobtrusive wherever you place them, making them excellent for use in small areas such as desks, bedrooms, kitchens etc or even just to be hidden away in the living room under the tv. They come with a very self explanatory instruction book, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, extension cable if you need the speakers further apart (they are cabled together to carry the power) and a very small, nice looking, remote control. So enough of their superb looks and design what do they sound like.

They can be connected via cable to a 3.5mm jack on an iPod etc or via USB to a laptop but for this review I used Bluetooth. I connected a variety of devices and both IOS and Android (iPhone 5, iPad 4, Nexus 2012, Nexus 2013, Samsung Galaxy Note and Samsung Galaxy S3). All connected with zero issue by simply pressing the bluetooth button on the speaker and then just searching and pairing on the device. I streamed an episode of HBO's Boardwalk empire on the iPad which sounded good, I also then watched a movie that had already been downloaded from Google Play on a Nexus 7 which sounded great also.

For music for the sake of comparison I stuck with using an iPhone 5 using non streamed (pre-downloaded) music from Spotify in their 'high' (Medium) format. Now let me make it clear I am no audiophile but when I listened to Gabrielle Aplin's The Power of Love I was blown away. The sound was awesome and her voice came through crystal clear. I normally use a Sonos 5 in the room I has these in and to my mind these sounded better, excellent for any size and for these petit and well designed speakers ridiculously good. I then listened to a number of other artists and tracks and all equally good.

Why not five stars then? I decided to go for a high volume heavy bass track (Awolnation 'Burn it Down' and 'Sail'). With the volume on max you could tell the speakers were struggling to handle it. As soon as they were turned down to 3/4's vol they were fine (which is actually the max volume most people would listen to most of the time) they were fine but they struggled at full vol and distorted slightly. I have no doubt that this would be sorted by simply adding a subwoofer (there is a port for this on the speakers).

This however is nit picking. These really are a great all round package and I think anyone buying these and playing them for the first time will be blown away. Great design, great sound and really a great effort from Simple Audio.
What's this?