36 of 40 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Affliction (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Novels) (Hardcover)
Affliction is volume 22 in the Anita Blake Series , a mysterious bad guy is at work in Micah's ( one of anita's live in lovers) hometown where flesh eating zombies are on the rise so Anita and Posse ride off to stop them i would like to say that simplefies it but no that is pretty much it.
Talk about the later volumes of AB love or hate it usually revolve around the sex to be fair its relatively toned down here and is not the compleat momentum killer that has been before when it does happen, on the other hand that means we pay more attention to what passes for the story and so:
* The Bad Guy is interesting and is a call back to some of Anitas Better foes underutlised but at least interesting
* The Sex is kept relatively to a minium
* Anita is now a Mary Sue, the best fighter ala Batman on Crack, the best lover basically jenna jameson if she sweated viagra,is able to absorb any power used agisnt her so blah you get the point
* Every character believes the suns shines out of her ass otherwise their a hate mongering racist, homopobic blah again you get the point
* She is now literally the dimensions of a Comic book character at near five nothing working out and constantly doing weights she a triple eee bra size i know this because this was a actual discussion in the book
* Edward is now just a yes man Death my ass
* The Misogny- having any woman that dosnt love Anita be a Shrew and a Harridan is just distastful its not feminism to have a strong female character if you have to lessen the other female characters to do it
* The Sex Abuse- this is a serious subject that should be given a modicum of respect by any author that uses it instead here its brought up practically when someone sits down to have a coffee since everyone and i mean everyone has a history of abuse and the fact it comes up in either one of two ways to explain someone being 'mean' to Anita or to explain how Anita 'saves' people is just wow.. ps by saves i assume the author means ' has sex with' because guess when a lot of this talk takes place?
look at lot of the above issues have plagued the later books they arent new ones so if they havent stopped you before they are unlikely to now all i can say to you if you do decide to read this mess prepare to be bored because the greatest offence this book commits is to be very, very boring
So good luck and good night Anita i would like to say it was nice knowing you but?
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Aug 2013, 19:34:30 BST
N. Hallett says:
Hear you loud and clear. I haven't even bothered to read this one and your review shows I was right to give it a miss. Shame because early AB was awesome.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›