on 18 October 2013
Having used Delia's books in the past (Not baking) I bought this one with out checking it out before hand. What a mistake to have made.
The font colour chosen for the ingredients makes it imposable to refer to when cooking. It's a light gold ink in a very thin font printed on to shiny paper. Even with my glasses on I find it hard to read.
The other thing that is wrong is the baking timings. You end up having to add at least 10 minutes to most things to get them to the correct stage for removal from the oven. The last two cakes I made today have still been wet at the recommended finish times.
Against my better judgement I followed the book's instructions for turning out the sponge cakes; and ended up with broken cakes.
Were this my only recipe book or I was new to baking, I might start to think it was my oven or lack of skills that was to fault.
However when following Mary Berry's Baking Bible or my old copy of the Good Housekeeping baking book, the times are correct and the instructions reliable.
I was also surprised to see Delia pushing kitchen equipment for sale. Delia is actually teaming up with manufacturers like Silverwood and Bake-O-Glide and pushes these items at the start of the book.
I was lead to understand that she personally checks each recipe six times before publication. I now think this must be an urban myth. Perhaps her books are now being ghost written? Who knows? All I know is that I have had difficulty reading the book; and then ended up with poor results.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.