on 2 August 2013
Should I read this? If you are an adult, if you are a fantasy fanatic, if it is still free and you have nothing else to read at present then yes.

My first impression was that, like, me, the authors revered, Robert Jordan. That there is nothing new in Fantasy is a fallacy. Steven Erickson was new and fabulous. However one pays the piper for the best and this book is new and not in that context.

We are first introduced to the warrior, "Morcel". He has no parallel in , "The Wheel of Time" but his preparation for combat has echoes of Tam Al'Thor and the void. Then we are introduced to Jade who briefly becomes the Phantom but then develops into the driven woman whose life is dedicated to finding and protecting the gatekeeper so he can complete his fight against evil. As the rich fantasy world is described we are introduced to Eric, a blacksmith, his physique, naivety, wholesomeness and hints of a deeper power reminds me of Perrin Goldeneyes. Just to sort of confirm my first impression along comes Jacob. He is one for the girls, for mischief and not one for self reflection and would you believe it he is a master with the quarter staff. Then latterly we meet another faction whose females are bare breasted and have chains and piercings across their faces, "Seafolk revisited?".

The story has pace and keeps you reading despite the mediocre quality of the writing. If I was the editor I would suggest: cut the polemic on crime and punishment; moderate the gratuitous violence and sexuality; try and improve the quality of the prose for the next work.
9 people found this helpful