on 13 June 2009
I have been using steamers for years and have gone through quite a few, none of them seem to last long, despite careful handling and cleaning. Though I did use them nearly everyday, before they died. Did this machine warrant the extra you are paying for it? I watched the video and was intrigued by the idea of 3 separate steam outlets. It would mean I didn't have to mess about with baskets during the steaming time, placing them, moving them around at the right time. I have lost count of the scalds I have received over the years from just that very procedure. I decided to take the plunge, after reading the reviews on Amazon and deciding against the Tefal one.

It arrived and the box was huge and heavy. It certainly is much heavier and and bigger than any other steamer I have used. Though plastic, the base seemed sturdy, though like others, I would have expected stainless steel. No high rise living with it though, this is a good, well-built, bungalow of a steamer. The instructions were easy to follow and weren't 3 inches thick, because of including several other languages. I liked the section on timings and weight, explaining how long different items would take, this would be especially good for beginners. I also liked the fact the instructions were in words, not just in stupid little drawings, as so many manufacturers seem to do these days. The print was also readable.

I set it up for my first go, I'm not a natural cook, so I need all the help I can get. It was easy. Even I can use one finger to press a button! I customised my cooking times on my first try too! I must admit I stood and watched when it came time for one of the sections to switch on. I was using the big section at the back and one of the sections at the front. The section at the front stayed steam free, until the allotted time and the empty front section remained clear throughout. I was fascinated, but I am easily pleased and the novelty has worn off now. I think it emits less steam into the kitchen, but I could be wrong. The seal around the containers and the lids is good. It is bulky to wash, but also easy. I would have liked an on/off switch on the unit itself.

I have been using the unit daily for 10 days and have had no problems. I have steamed all kinds of veg, rice, chicken and fish, along with warming up other things, wrapped in foil. Everything has come out perfectly cooked and all at the same time, without any intervention from me. The 'keep warm' feature has been a great addition too. Especially when some fool rings, just as I am about to dish up, why do people do that? I am very pleased with my purchase and would say it is perfect for both beginners and the more experienced cook. In fact, it is at work as I type this and I will be getting fed as soon as I finish.
0Comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?