2,187 of 2,228 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars To sleep, perchance to dream... THIS WORKS!, 9 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Gro Company Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer (Baby Product)
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Oct 2011 19:42:32 BDT
booksy says:
What an excellent and helpful review. My little girl (who's just turned 2) actually wakes at a decent time - although it's earlier than it used to be and I'm thinking of getting this clock just to 'tell' her that it's quiet play-time in the cot until the sun comes up. Your how-to guide is so helpful though, especially for people who have very early risers. You seem to have tons of patience though! I'm entering the tantrum phase and find it so difficult!

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 21:22:01 GMT
monkey says:
Thank you, this is a really helpful review. Our youngest son is 21 months and has been waking up at 4.30am for quite some time now. We had thought he might be too young for this to work but we will probably buy one now

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 20:20:49 GMT
Very helpful review, thanks for taking the time to write it.

Posted on 23 Nov 2011 21:27:19 GMT
S. Edwards says:
How amazingly helpful this is; thank you so much for taking the time to explain what you did in such a practical way. I'm not sure if this will work for my 3 year old as he knows the o'clock times but woke us at 5:15 this morn. I remember those 4am starts...all the best.

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 11:36:00 GMT
I found this review and the tips it provides very useful. The Gro-clock is now on my Christmas present list in the hope that it will help our 20-month old son learn when it's time to get. He has always been an early riser, waking at 5am on the dot. Sometimes we can get him off to sleep again but more often than not, we stay in his room and read books until it's at least 6am and then go downstairs to play with his other toys. Another hour in bed would make all the difference!

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 18:10:28 GMT
Sharkaholic says:
I wish all reviews were as practically helpful, there are so many parents out there that have problems with sleep training, and any one of them who reads this will be well chuffed you took the time to spell things out. Thanks so much!

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 21:43:49 GMT
Audrey says:
I have just been on looking for this clock and saw the reviews - so glad I read it. You should write a book as that's what they say, but it's great to know real mums do that and it works. I am frantically trying to get my 2 year old to sleep longer. She used to have to be woken if I was going to work or slept till about 8 or later, but since I change from cot to bed its been terrible. Like me she really needs her sleep so things have been pretty tough. This will hopefully be my new best friend and will make my tired wee girl a much happier girl with the extra sleep she needs. I told her I was getting a clock so she has been looking forward to it. Thanks for all the tips - I will be using them.
Great review.

Posted on 18 Dec 2011 07:43:31 GMT
Bert666 says:
BRILLIANT review!! Also, not only does it reinforce the helpfulness of the Gro Clock, but you have also just made me have a 'lightbulb' moment with regards to my little boy waking up and watching TV straight away! Thankyou for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative review.

Posted on 18 Feb 2012 08:13:30 GMT
S Atkinson says:
Such a helpful review- thank you!! My 18mths old has been consistently waking up at 5am for the last 6mths and we're at he end of our tether!!! I'm hoping this clock is goin to help, I'm just wondering if he's too young though bu I guess we'll soon find out. It has to be worth a try!! Fingers crossed!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2012 09:36:06 GMT
Thank you for writing this review, some really helpful tips there. Certainly will give this a go - my only struggle will be is that my little boy is already in a bed and whilst we have a child gate on his door he has already figured how to open this. That said, being a bit older (2.5) he does understand reasoning and so hopefully this clock and some mild bribery will help move his get up time from 5/6 something to 7.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›