Learn more Download now Shop now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more

on February 20, 2008
I like this camera a lot. It can be set for three essentials I really need: instant shutter response, excellent optical viewfinder (not shown in the photo, can be attached to the flash shoe) and raw files for post processing.

It does have some noise -- pretty typical of small sensor cameras -- once the ISO starts to be raised. I often use it in B&W because that cuts out colour noise and the luminance noise looks more like grain. I am okay with that. I have photos that I would not otherwise have and they are still more acceptable to me than what I get with other P&S cameras.

Under good conditions the Ricoh can produce some stunning images, particularly due to the corner-to-corner sharpness of the lens and very good colour rendition. Under marginal conditions it suffers, but still performs well for its class. It is small enough to keep in my brief case so I have it with me all the time. Sean Reid ([...] -- a great site and well worth the subscription) suggests such a camera should be thought of as an artist's sketch book - something you always have with you for quickly penciling an idea, but not for painting a masterpiece. I find that a really attractive notion.

Maybe I should have waited for the Sigma DP1 which is also a fixed 28mm focal length. But life is short and in any case that camera is a subtly different proposition all over again. Thanks Ricoh for a quality product and a lot of fun.
11 comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?