on 5 May 2006
I was asked about this book in my Livejournal, and instead of typing out about plot and character, I'll copy my ramble over to here. I think it should give people a pretty good idea of what they're getting into.

Boy meets Boy by David Levithan.

I'm tempted to type out another bit of text, just so show how fantastic the book is. My favourite passage? From the first few pages, and the moment I fell in love with the book:

"But a part of me still fell in hope with him. I want a fair world. And in a fair world, Tony would shine. I could tell him this, but he wouldn't except it. He would just leave it on the island instead of folding it up and keeping it with him, just to know it was there."

Then, a little further on "When he says "I like it here", I don't want there to be a sad undertone. I want to be able to say So stay"

I love this book. Reading it is like...a comfort act. Some people read the bible for comfort, and I've really never understood that though I know I shouldn't been comparing some teen coming-out romance book to the bible, but even a few sentences from this book had an affect on me. In the worst of time, it makes me weep, and in the best it gives me hope. It is my dream book. I wish I lived in that town, in that version of the world, went to that school, knew those people.

I started reading it again two days ago, and this time around it means so much more. Everything in it is so...beautiful. The book feels fragile, and every time a dramatic event occurs I can't stop reading for fear that if I don't get past it, it will crumble in my hands. I read the first 5 pages two days ago. I couldn't read anymore, because reading it is like a constant reminder of how the world *shoud* be, but isn't. Last night I read more, I began to get into the meat of the story and more and more I kept thinking "Yes, exactly, I know that feeling." And they're the happy feelings. *Those* moments, that are undefinable, the little smile and blush at an off-hand comment that for some reason has you walking on air. The excitement, the rush, and the feeling that one day because of all this maybe things will be better than you could imagine in ways you can't even begin to understand yet.

So...that's my personal view on the book. I really think everyone should read it. Completely beautiful.
28 people found this helpful