on 9 September 2013
I bought this to upgrade from my existing Sony waterproof camera that I simply love and has served me well for many years. The appeal of this one for me is that it has higher MP than my current, can go deeper and crucially I LOVE the wifi option. Oh how my anticipation grew as I ordered this just 2 days before I popped off on my summer holiday. It arrived in time (thanks Amazon)and I duly popped it in my bag to the airport.

Having used Sony cameras for many years I did have to look up some of the functions in the online user guide as I was not familiar with the Nikon menu structure. Its also not touch screen which I am also used to and I found the little buttons on this model a bit fiddly.

Sadly, almost immediately I started using it I was faced with the much talked about condensation issue. And, yes, it does mention it might happen in certain circumstances but after using it for 2 weeks I wanted to let it plummet to the bottom of the ocean, never to return.

If I had it in my hand for half an hour and used it = condensation.
If I took it out of my handbag which had been by my chair for hours = condensation.
If it got splashed by the kids on a pedelo = condensation.
If I stepped outside = condensation
Sometimes I wasn't anywhere near water = condensation.

I think you get the jist? Was I in a tropical rainforest, no, just Zante, temp was low to mid 30's. It started with condensation on the lens but progressed to condensation on the viewing screen. Yes, it does clear pretty quickly but that's little comfort when you have a foggy patch over the face of your 7 year old coming down a waterslide. I had my little Sony for years and has tackled hotter and wetter places than this and I never had condensation once.

On the plus side, the pictures are superb quality and the wifi is awesome (photo to Facebook in minutes!) - I will be hard placed to find a model which can give me quality AND wifi! I'm not actually sure it uses wifi - I thought it must be more like Bluetooth because I could connect to it even when my phone was not connected to wifi.

Anyway, I have pondered it since my return and I have decided to return it for a refund. My first dabble with Nikon has not been a positive one and I want a camera that I can take out of my bag and shoot IMMEDIATELY, rather than "Hang on darling whilst I wait for the mist to clear and you can go again". Disappointing.
12 people found this helpful