on 4 October 2010
My daughter and I couldn't afford to go to the O2 arena but saw the concert through the satellite link at our local Vue cinema. It was a fabulous evening - dolby stereo sound, what looked like an HD picture and close ups of all the singers at they were performing. We didn't have the same atmosphere as the O2 I suppose but we applauded and cheered along with the O2 crowd and had a wonderful time. If the DVD is the same footage that we saw on the cinema screen it has to be an absolute must buy for fans. We believe we had the best view of the night - it was like being on stage with the singers, we could see everything. Alfie Boe was a revelation as Jean Valjean and deservedly received a standing ovation when he sang 'Bring Him Home'. It was a little strange seeing Lea Salonga as Fantine - brilliant singing as ever - but to me she will always be Kim from Miss Saigon and Eponine from the 10 yr anniversary performance. Ramin Karimloo as Enjolras was, we think, the best singer we have ever heard in this part, powerful voice and very expressive face. Norm Lewis as Javert, not quite Philip Quast but a fine voice. We knew we had seen Samantha Barks somewhere - she was singing Eponine's part - but we couldn't place her and then it came to us - she was in the competition for the part of Nancy on the TV reality show, "I'd Do Anything'. What a find! She was excellent. Matt Lucas as Thenardier was just superb and completely surprised me as I only knew him from Little Britain. He sang with Jenny Galloway as Madame T and they were the most awful, funny couple. They really did lift the solemnity of the show. Marius (Nick Jonas) - hmmm - have to agree that he was the one, slight weak link - all the people around us agreed but saying that, he did a credible job of 'Empty Chairs'. Don't get me wrong, he was not awful and someone said he is only 18 or so, and if that is the case, he did extremely well and I am sure his voice will get stronger if he continues in musical theatre. Or perhaps he was very good but the quality of the other singers on the night simply left him trailing a little, maybe his young fans will buy this DVD because he is in it and discover there is more to music than pop!

The finale was the original 1985 cast on stage, Colm Wilkinson, Michael Ball etc. What a night and what a stunning show, the best £15 for a ticket for 2½/3 hours entertainment that I have ever spent. This DVD is already on my Christmas wish list if I can wait that long....
1313 Comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details