5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you're not a believer, 13 May 2011
This review is from: The Passion Of The Christ (2 Disc Director's Edition) [2004] [DVD] (DVD)
This is simply a must have for anyone calling him/herself a Christian. And even if you're not this is simply a brilliant piece of film - superbly acted (Jim Cav is an excellent Christ), fabulously directed and ultimately impactful film you should see and then own.
For me as a Catholic to see the Passion portrayed so wonderfully well and so authentically and truthfully - is just a blessing. I try to watch it every Good Friday. Its very hard to witness our lord die for my sins and so graphically- but it happened and we did it and I think its a great reminder to help keep me on a right path in my walk with the lord.
And as hard as it is for me to watch it - I didnt have to live it....

11/10!!! MUST WATCH !!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 May 2011 22:00:35 BDT
Vegplanet says:
If you're not a (Catholic) Christian, how can this can be considered a brilliant film? I know Catholics are rather perversely obsessed with the suffering of Christ, but more moderate Christians and non belivers are certainly not.

He didn't have to live it either - he could have chosen any path he deemed fit to our supposed salvation; including a peaceful death. I just don't get it I'm afraid - the whole film leaves a bitter taste.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 10:34:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2012 11:16:55 BDT
Rick says:
Think you have to separate the two judgements, namely that relating to the quality of the film as a film, and the theological query that you have. Christ could have redeemed us by the smallest act, which would have had infinite merit, but he chose to expose himself completely to suffering. One way of understanding this is to say that in this way he showed us how much he loved us and did so in a way that we would more readily understand.

Further to what I just wrote: I would recommend reading a summary of the Catholic position given by J. Riviere, in his book "The Atonement, A Historical Essay". It was published in 1909 but I don't think it should be dismissed just because of that - I'd say it is an important work. I say this because I am not quite convinced that I have captured this aspect of the doctrine as fully as he does there - it's only a few pages by the way. It's available as a free download - search via Google. Of course, there will have been development in Catholic thought since then.

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 13:49:02 BDT
Amen to that

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 23:06:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Apr 2012 23:14:40 BDT
Rick
Why do you believe that subjecting yourself to avoidable suffering can ever be understood as loving? I have already outlined other paths Christ could have chosen to our 'salvation'.

Suffering can display a level of love for others in many contexts, where the suffering is unavoidable and beneficial. This is not the case here - Jesus/ God were not compelled into any course of action.

An innocent party should not be required to make any form of sacrifice in order to forgive in any circumstances. This is totally illogical.

Thanks for the reading suggestions by the way, but my opinions are not fuelled by any level of ignorance about the issues involved. I feel they are logical conclusions.

I also still feel that the positive reviews about this film may be directed at the character of Jesus, rather then the film itself.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2012 23:40:27 BDT
Rick, in Christ being put to death for us, why do you not care about justice? Are you not man enough to take your own punishment?

Why are Christians such cowards?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 03:17:07 BDT
@nothingsperfect, @Vegplanet... you are unfortunate in both your ignorance and (mis)understanding of Christ's sacrifice, it's apparent that neither of you have ever read or done any study on the absolute necessity of Christ's death and resurrection, instead you just make hare-brained attempts at commentary on a subject you have no grasp on whatsoever. I'm sorry if you're flawed and myopic logic can't see past why you think an innocent man had to die for the sins of all, but then again, you're not God... in ancient Israel, a spotless lamb had to be sacrificed to cover the sins of the people, but as no man is sinless, only a perfect and sinless Man could be sacrificed to cover the sins of all people for all time, hence why Yeshua (Jesus) came in human form, live a perfect and sinless life, and die a perfect blood sacrifice to satisfy the Father's price for sin... in short and (very) briefly, THAT is why Jesus had to die, and THAT is true justice even if you don't, can't, or won't get your head around it.

It's not a matter of Christians being cowards, but your complete and total ignorance and bigotry is sadly manifest to all who read this, countless thousands of Christians have given up their life and liberty for their faith, and many still are, so to just call them "cowards" says more about you than them I'm afraid. No Christian could pay the sin-debt by dying as I've already explained, so cowardice doesn't even enter the equation, it would be an act of utter futility not to mention arrogance to think that we could somehow cover the sins of everyone... it's as simple as that.

Hope I've educated you both somewhat, someone needed to...

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 17:31:39 BDT
Amen to that
The Christian Faith is one big fraud,where millions have fought and killed each other in the name of Christ.

Crucifixion was a particularly nasty and unpleasant method of Roman torture whereby the victim was whipped to almost death and then hung on a wooden beam so that the weight of their own bodies eventually suffocated them.

The fact that this one particular victim was supposed to be the son of God for any rational thinking person is utter none sense.

Its all down to faith,well that's fine,but religion of whatever persuasion is the cause of so much strife in today's world,that the sooner we realise we have been brainwashed for the past two thousand years,we will be better for it.

I am sure Jesus would be dead chuffed if he could see the greed and affarice shown by Mel Gibson when he laughed all the way to the bank.

There's the end of that lesson.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 17:59:42 BDT
Interestingly enough it's my Christian faith that u try to decimate in your comment that has stopped me from belittling or attacking your seemingly complete lack of faith...
Conveniently most people who take your approach and blame 'religion' for the amount of wars/atrocities that happen daily etcetera never realise that it's not God who says start wars - it's mankind. It's actually the exact opposite of what God tells us to do - if you even have a basic knowledge of what Gods word instructs us - you should know that 'thou shalt not kill' is one of the fundamentals he asks of us. If anyone truly- truly- practiced what they preached there would be no wars/violence/etcetera.im Christian but I know that Allah never preached about flying planes into buildings and causing mass devastation...its MAN who has to take the blame for the things you are blaming Jesus/religion for.
So please next time you teach a lesson - include facts :)
Xx

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2013 00:07:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jul 2013 22:58:05 BDT
Northern Star

What do you mean by 'the absolute necessity of Christ's death and reserrection'. This is incoherent nonsense. As the supposed superior being of the universe, where would the element of compulsion emanate from? Whatever path of action this character chose to follow would have been vaunted by Christians as perfectly correct. I'm sure you wouldn't be taking issue with Jesus now if he simply declared all 'sins' forgiven without sacrifice and retired.
As a Christian I would suggest you are wholly unable to even consider such questions - your mind is fundamentally closed.

The second part of your first paragraph resorts again to tired arguments of compulsion. There was no need for sacrifice - if Jesus simply declared all sins paid for, would you really be arguing today and claiming that your God should have sought to martyr himself to lend this course of action more credibility?

Please stop claiming that I'm ignorant. I know the story as well as you. The difference is that with my open mind I can see that it is palpable nonsense. You have completely failed to educate me but have simply spewed out the tired, unproven cliches which are easily rejected with simple common sense.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2013 00:20:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jul 2013 07:44:30 BDT
Ms Lauren

How familiar are you with your Bible?

The words of God in Samuel 15:3

"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass."

Maybe about 0.00000001 % of men start wars, but it seems that 100% of Gods do.

"if you even have a basic knowledge of what Gods word instructs us - you should know that 'thou shalt not kill' is one of the fundamentals he asks of us"

But does He ask that of himself or is He above reproach, this character?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›