on 8 February 2009
This is a great book, and as other reviewers have said, it is clear, beautifully written, great photographs, and offers an almost fool proof method for creating a leaven. Some of the recipes are a bit different from usual but that is what makes it fun and interesting. It gives you a really good grounding in the different approaches to bread making, and is a lot less complicated than some of the other artisan bread books.

17th March 2011

I'm revisting this review today because I still bake bread, I have a lot more books on the shelf too, but this very first book to inspire me has remained one of my best friends. I love the way it is written; the stories of Dan Lepard's exploration of the different styles of baking; the lives and images of the people he met who welcomed him into their homes and workplaces. I love the recipes and the way that some are easy and some more complicated. I don't want everything to be dumbed down. Having said that, I still have the levain I made following the instructions in this book, three years on.

I want to pay attention and think about what I'm doing. I don't mind the odd challenge. One gets a whole range of breads to make in this book, from a quick white loaf to a complex and very satisfying walnut bread, the sort of bread you can rarely buy in any shop. Some bread books have a one dough fits all approach. This is fine and good, but this book opens up more possibilities than that and gives you the tools from which to build your own repertoire of breads that make you happy.

If you are interested in this extraordinary world, and finding out what makes people so passionate about baking good bread, then I would whole-heartedly recommend The HandMade Loaf. Joanna
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?