3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not their best, but..., 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
There are a few outstanding tracks on this album. Overall, it's pretty dull and uninspiring, I think everyone including myself expected more.
On the day of release, I eagerly logged onto the Itunes Store to listen to the previews. Now, if you go and do this, you will notice nearly every track sounds the same, which shocked me, as they've always had many different styles on one album, especially in Only By The Night with the likes of 17, Notion and Use Somebody. After this disappointment, I decided I should probably not judge by previews, as they're generally quite deceptive with only 30 seconds of the song. My fiance bought me this for Christmas, and my first listen to it was while I had the flu, lucky me, and only a few tracks made me go 'wow'.
Below is the track listing and my opinions on all of the songs.
1. The End.
One of my three favourites of the album. Such a powerful bassline and beautiful, beautiful guitar playing. I like how Jared's chords fit in perfectly with Caleb's singing and the pauses. I like the lyrics in this song and the way they are sung, especially parts like "Said I ain't got a home, I'll forever roam.." It's a fantastic, start to the album, and leaves you with high hopes for the rest of it. I also liked the ironic song name, and the variety of instruments used in the composition. The ending of the song is absolutely beautiful. Overall, it's an amazing song, just what I wanted to hear from them.
2. Radioactive.
The first single from CAS. I was so, so, so excited to see on the music channels "New Kings of Leon Video Exclusive." Admittedly, it's not the best song ever. Yes, it's upbeat and happy but it's nothing in comparison to some of their old greats. It's extremely overrated, although listenable and enjoyable, it's nothing like their old singles like Molly's Chambers or The Bucket.
3. Pyro.
The second single from this album. I love this song, it's composed so beautifully with gentle bass and guitar in the background with a soft drum beat. "Everything I cherished is slowly dying or is gone.." is probably my favourite line as he sings it with such conviction. The song is sung with lots of emotion, which is odd considering it's about the FBI killing Christians that lived on a mountain...
It reached number 69 in the UK singles chart, which shows me it's not mainstream enough for the chav public to enjoy it, so that adds to my enjoyment.
4. Mary.
One of those filler songs that people don't really like. It's alright, but a bit too boring for my liking. Guitar is very, very basic as is the entire composition of the song in general.
5. The Face.
Without a doubt, this is my favourite. Beautiful would be an understatement. This is 3:28 of heaven, in my opinion. Jared and Matthew both showcase their guitar playing talent, throughout, with a strong bassline and passionate riffs throughout, and Caleb shows how raw and incredible his voice is. Such a deep, heartfelt song, which is nice to have on the album. If you're emotional when you listen to it, there will be tears if you think of your loved one. "Ride out the wave..."
6. The Immortals.
A mainstream song, which I guessed would be their next single, and so it happens, it is their third from this album. I'd like to say it's one of my favourites, but it doesn't even touch 1, 3 or 5. It's a feel-good song, with some nice guitar playing, emotional singing and a really cool instrumental between verses.
7. Back Down South.
I love the way this song really shows off where the Kings are from, just the sound of it, and the crowd of Southeners cheering at the end. It's a nice song, listenable, but not as good as my three favourites, but much better than most that follow it. From here on gets a bit boring for me.
8. Beach Side.
I love the start of this song, you know that it's Beach Side. It, like the album as a whole, is a feel good song. I like the guitar and bass in it, and it's a listenable song. Very, very unlike KoL though.
9. No Money.
These last 5 songs all blend into one for me, as I felt they were quite similar. I love the backing vocals in it though during the chorus, and Caleb's voice works perfectly with the music. Didn't really appreciate the two unnecessary swears though...
10. Pony Up.
The reason I like this song is probably because of the hoof like noise at the beginning, because I know it's Pony Up. I also like the guitar throughout and the bass sounds fantastic. Yet again, quite different.
11. Birthday.
I must admit, I do quite like this song, especially the chorus. I'm not sure why, probably because it's a happy song and yet again, the bass and guitar are great.
12. Mi Amigo.
This is simply just a listenable song. The only thing I can really say about it is that I like Caleb's voice in it, and Matthew's guitar playing is awesome during the bridge/chorus.
13. Pickup Truck.
I like the beginning, unusual start with a mini riff and bass strum. I like the chorus, simply because it has emotion in it, and Caleb's voice sounds great, as well as a strong drum beat from Nathan and a brilliant combination of bass and guitar. I also like the parts between the verses, as they sound really good. It has a nice powerful end as well, which slowly gets quieter with less and less instruments until it fades out.

Overall, an odd album from the Kings. Completely different from their usual stuff.
My stand-out tracks are definitely: The End, Pyro, The Face and Pickup Truck. They would be the only reason I'd recommend this album to a friend, as they'd be better off listening to Because of the Times, to get a good feel of the band.
On another note, I like the simplistic album artwork, and love the yellow palm tree design on the disk.
If you're not going to buy or download the album, at least listen to the three I've recommended; you won't regret it.

[Add comment]