on 9 October 2007
I use professional Nikon DSLRs, and like other people, wanted a small camera I could put in my pocket when I travel light. I travel a lot, and I have bought maybe five or six compact digitals over the last few years, hoping to find one which really filled my need. The Canon G9 looked and felt right as soon as I got it out of the box, and I was just hoping that it's image quality lived up to it's appearance. It does. It is much much better than any other compact I have used. The manual controls are excellent, the handling is very comfortable, and the operation is very well thought-out. I really enjoy using this little camera. The image quality is excellent, if not as good as that of my Nikon DSLRs. I did consider the Nikon P5100 compact (and I have not used one, so it might be superb!), but I decided to go for the Canon based on exhaustive trawling of forums and reviews by people who had used both cameras. It seemed to me that most people thought the image quality on both was good, that the grip on the Nikon was better, and the controls on the Canon were better. The Canon G9 has RAW as well as JPG, which is a big plus. I find that the low-light performance of the G9 is great - it really TRIES to get a decent picture! It will end up a bit grainy (noisy) if the light is really poor, but it does a good job in situations where you would need 3000 quid's worth of DSLR and lens to get a better picture. The build quality is excellent as well - some people have commented that it is a bit heavy, but I find it hefts very comfortably and FEELS like a decent bit of kit. Highly recommended!
22 Comments| 432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.