on 17 June 2011
I adore Doctor Who, especially the recent two series, and I hadn't bothered to investigate the novels till very recently. I bought three of them in a deal to read during a week holiday; Hunters Moon, Night of the Humans and this book, Dead of Winter. I was immediately absorbed, I read all three during the week, and I enjoyed them all, but this was by far my favourite.

The narrative came across a little causally for my taste at first, but this feeling didn't last for very long at all. I like my narrative to be dark, complex, and thick with difficult observations and descriptions. But this is written from the character's POV so naturally and easily that it flows like water, and even though it is easily read, the observations are strange, intelligent and twist your expectations brilliantly. It is fun, exciting and and a great insight into Amy, the Doctor and Rory's inner monologue. The overall plot seemed a bit loose at times, but that is more than made up for in its character exploration and plot twists. I put down the book on the plane back home at 2am, smiling.
What's this?