3.0 out of 5 stars A decent Windows Tablet, let downy the software, 8 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Lenovo Miix 10 10.1-inch Tablet (Silver) - (Intel Atom Z2760 1.8GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 8 MM) (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gained this with the intention of using it as a mini laptop, for serious writing. My main tablet is an iPad, and the first thing I noticed is the shape of the screen. Whilst I understand it is widescreen, it is different from what I am used to.It is fast, snappy and boots up quick. The touch screen is smooth and clear, and the tablet and case is ok in weight. As mentioned elsewhere, the micro USB is VERY frustrating, being tucked away underneath, and not accessible with the keyboard. The case is OK, but does open up often in transit- I have taken to shutting it down between uses, instead of using the case to cover it. The tablet back is plastic and cheap feeling, and lets the whole tablet down- so much so, I just keep it in the case (unless I want access to the USB). Battery life is good, but hard to tell, because as I say, I turn it off whilst in transit to prevent the case opening up and battery being warn down.

The keyboard is an absolute delight, I love it, and it runs along side my iMac keyboard comfortably. It is lovely also to be able to use Word on something as portable as a tablet- touch always feels hit and miss, but it is surprisingly accurate with the windows interface.

And this is where i have to say it. I am determined to make this review about the tablet, but as Windows is the interface for the tablet, it is hard not to comment on it. I hate windows, and this is by far it's worse incarnation, it being a 2 tier system- the quite nice tiles effect, and the desktop verso which is always there, running in the back ground, and pops up unexpected. You have to run a virus checker, and when you install programs, many others come along as well, filling the tablet with well rubbish.

As I said, I do like the tiles interface- looks nice and is smooth in use. But to always have to be flipping back and forwards from the old to the new is daft to say the least. From new, the tablet took 5 hours to update- I had to update Windows, then upgrade it to 8.1. 8.1 is worth it over 8.0 (why did they release this version??). But within a week, I have had to reset and start again, with Windows errors.We are all use to windows and its time consuming problems; it is a shame as it does let the tablet down. Also, the Windows App store is small and incomplete, and limits what you can do.

That said, it is nice to be able to use Word on the go.

All in all, this is good, but for the money, quality and in use, (unless you specifically want to type lots), I would have to recommend the iPad mini over this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jan 2014, 20:19:54 GMT
El Tel says:
"I hate windows" so why buy a windows operating system?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2014, 20:32:12 GMT
Simon says:
Why? A couple reasons; I wanted the tablet more than the operating system, and I allow wanted to see if the tablet package had improved the windows experience from my previous tries. The answer in short is nearly- I love the tiles interface, but as I say, the duality of also having the traditional windows desktop is frustrating. Shame; I thought they nearly had it then! Thanks for asking though.

Posted on 12 Feb 2014, 12:39:58 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Feb 2014, 12:43:06 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2014, 12:45:39 GMT
GREAT! :) says:
lenovo just came out with the miix 2 which comes with a way better keyboard, with built-in speaker and 2 full sized USB ports, it comes pre-loaded with mincrosoft office & student 2013 and a better screen, better processor and full windows 8.1 and it costs the same as the lenovo mix atleast were i bought it, both were 400 pounds.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›