VINE VOICEon 25 November 2013
Style: Series 5000 8-in-1 Trimmer|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Philips QG3362/23 is a fantastically specified trimmer. You will have seen in the product description that it offers 12 different grooming options/attachments, and is waterproof, making cleaning that much easier. The unit is ergonomically well shaped and looks good - far less like a 1980s Nike Air trainer than the Braun trimmers, such as Braun cruZer 6 Body 2-in-1 Groomer and Braun CruZer6 Face All-in-One Wet & Dry Styler and Trimmer.

The Philips unit charges pretty quickly and seems to have a more than reasonable power capacity. I can also report that the clippers cut very well, with no snagging and no scratching. The assortment of attachments are all perfectly good at the job they're designed for and this makes for fewer devices needed for the ever-increasing follicle protrudence that happens to men of a certain age. First impressions are favourable (although I should say that I haven't tried trimming the hair on my head with these clippers).

In the interests of fairness, I should also advise you of what I thought not so good with this grooming set.

1. The attachments feel rather flimsy.
Closer inspection of the insides does not inspire confidence, either, with glue spots highlighting just where the items *could* fall apart if they're less than impeccably made. Given that you will be changing these attachments on a regular basis, they should be made to a higher, more durable standard. I say this with a particular bias against Philips - I have been disappointed in the reliability of Philips products for many years now, and every time I get a new Philips product, it seems to become unusable in a very short space of time.
2. The storage tray is not particularly well designed. It is flimsy, overly large (I certainly don't want a personal grooming device to take up as much space as this kit does) and not suited to travel. What's more, there's nowhere to store the power supply in the tray.
3. The travel pouch offers no protection to the items inside, as they are free to rattle around. See point 1 as to why this bothers me. Plus, even if the attachments survive bashing up against the relatively heavier trimmer body and power supply, the blades and foils might not, which at best, is annoying, at worst, can leave you with nasty cuts.

Because the item isn't as well made as it should be, the poor storage options, and because of Philips' poor track record for build quality, I cannot award a full five stars. However, the item does work very well, and I hope this unit, unlike other Philips items I have owned, does manage to last -- fingers crossed.

** UPDATE ADDED 4 MARCH 2015 **

Having lived with the clipper set for a while now, I can happily report that they have proven to be far more durable than I thought they might. What's more, their cutting is cleaner and stronger than another set of clippers I picked in the meantime. I have been growing a beard; I have very thick stubble and my Braun cruZer 6 Beard and Head 3-in-1 Trimmer and Clipper has real trouble giving me a neat, clean trim. The Braun's lack of power mangles my stubble and leaves split ends. The Philips powers through with no problem, leaving a very neat cut. The Braun requires multiple passes, whereas the Philips gets the job done in one or two. I'm pleased with the Philips' cutting ability and it has lasted well enough so far (although the storage is still an annoyance).
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.