Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 September 2010
I waited a long while for this book to be published, Wow!, it was certainly worth the wait!

Peter F Hamiltion always writes epic books. They are epic is every way. Huge galaxy wide stories spread over a thousands of pages, dozens of characters all of whom add to the story, and if you looking for examples from just about every theme ever written about in science fiction you will find them all in this one book.

I was marginally disappointed with the closing chapters of Temporal Void as I felt at the time that the author had used a "cheap" technique to get the hero out of trouble. How wrong I was!! I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who has not read the previous two books in this series, but I will say that the ability used by Edeard towards the end of Temporal Void is in fact crucial to the whole point of the series.

This book is also has a huge depth! It is easy enough to follow on the surface level, but underneath there is just so much more going on! I really must go back and read the entire series again as there is so much going on that at times you can sometimes miss seemingly minor things and then find that they were really important later on.

As anyone who has read the previous two books will know, there are two main interleaved plots. One pure hard sci-fi and the other a dream sequence set in an almost pure fantasy world. The linking together of these two stories is the entire basis for the series.

Underneath the two main plots there are at least a dozen sub-plots and even more personal stories that all add superbly to the whole. How Peter Hamilton kept track of all of them when he was writing the series I can't begin to imagine!

I must also mention the ending of the book and the series. With about 100 or so pages to go out of a series of 3000 pages in the trilogy, or nearly 5000 pages if you include Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, I still did not know how it was all going to end.

I've read a few books recently were the story was great but the ending was poor. This was most definitely not one of those cases! The ending of this series is utterly superb. It is satisfying, rewarding, highly emotional (I actually had a few tears in my eyes!), and above all made perfect sense. Brilliantly done Mr Hamilton!

I will also add that this book reminded me a lot of some of Robert Heinlein's mid to later works that feature Lazurus Long. In fact some parts almost felt to me that they may be a homage to Robert Heinlein. I'm probably reading way too much in to this though, but if you are a Heinlein fan, keep an eye out for it.

All in all this book deserves nothing less than five stars.
What's this?