on October 23, 2013
I was recommended to read this book and was not disappointed. In fact this is my second copy purchased as my first was borrowed and never returned!

Its an incisive and critical look at the rise of Milton Friedman's theories on Free market economics and the Chicago school. Kline builds her critique on the basis that the proponents of Free Market economics only ever institute such policy in mainly unelected governments and /or in times of major crisis.

This is what she calls the 'Shock Doctrine', where a myriad of free market economic policies are brought in all at the same time, whilst a populace are to busy reeling from some form of social/economic or natural disaster.

I read my first copy in less than 2 days. Its very well written and shocking as the history I had lived through and thought I knew, was in fact something else entirely and made me open my eyes to the true impact of free market economic policy.

It will not be liked by everyone as it is a fierce condemnation of the Friedman school, but personally I recommend it to anyone to read it, as Kline has makes an excellent argument.

If your reading economics and or political history at university its a must, I can't give it any more praise than that, 5 stars.
What's this?