on March 14, 2011
I have been using another Mac specific genealogy program for some years, however I was drawn to "Family Tree Maker for Mac" by the mapping features and the "live" internet window, which would allow easy access to online resources. I was not at all impressed! Overall, the appearance and layout of the windows is uninspiring, and there is absolutely no opportunity to customise any of the features, eg background colour or font. The mapping feature is very USA orientated, meaning that many of the UK places I wanted to link to did not show up on the directory, and had to be placed manually. The live internet window does allow you to download from the Ancestry site, but to be honest it is clumsy and no quicker than right clicking and downloading to your hard drive. When I began to link files and images to this program, the links to my existing genealogy program became corrupted, and I actually lost one image completely. That was, I'm afraid, the last straw, and I will not be using this software again.

This was an expensive mistake! I paid £[] (Apple Store pricing!) for a piece of software which I am not prepared to use any longer as it puts my existing research at risk. I am appalled that this software is available when there are obviously major issues with its robustness and compatibility.
0Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?