on 22 August 2010
Raven seemed to have matured a bit from the first book. I think she finally understood that her delusion of becoming a vampire. Harsh Reality hit and Her romantic notions of becoming one of the undead was that a delusion. She still loves Alexander, but she knows that she wants to live, not be undead. She is not quite ready to give up her friends, her family and her life. This I admire about her. The only thing I found Raven missing was her sense of humor from the first book. Don't get me wrong, she was funny at times, but I was not lol-ing all over the place.
The plot seemed to easy, to contrived. Everything fell into place. I am specifically thinking of when Raven went to Hipsterville and the Coffin Club, and her getting the fake id from her brother eleven-year-old friend. I wasn't drinking that kool aid. Other than that I liked the whole Luna/Jagger storyline and am sure we will see them in future books.
Alexander is still mysterious, but I wish we could have gotten to see more and learn more from him. I guess that is the point though, if we knew everything about him now what would keep us reading till the end.
There were quite a few times that I found things too much like another vampire book. For example, Alexander said him and his family know as "vampire vegetarians." Hello, Twilight anyone? The biggest similarity was Alexander leaving Raven because he loves her and wants to protect from himself and his kind. Again, Twilight. At least this heroine didn't pine over her love and become a shell of her former self. She was proactive. That I can dig.
22 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?