on 9 December 2012
My mum and dad bought me a copy of this in hardback when I was a young child in the 1970s, and I still have it. Eccentric, charming and delightful, it always made my imagination run wild every time I read it. Even now, whenever I see it on the shelf, I'm tempted to bring it out and read it all over again.

I'm writing this on the day Patrick Moore - "Mrs Moore"'s son - died, and it feels like part of the vision and fancy which inspired him to become such an eminent astronomer can still be found on the pages of this little book. Beautifully illustrated, and packed with whimsy, this is a treat for children and adults alike.

Read it and be moonstruck. I still am.
What's this?