on 23 August 2012
This is an ideal 'point and shoot' camera for my partner to use, great set of shooting options, portrait, landscape, close up. It has effects to play with. Great for family days out, holidays for all to use.

However it has all the ingredients for me. Excellent spec for light shooting and exposure options. I won't go into this too much, you can read the spec to work out it's exceptional quality. I bought this over Cannon as I like Nikon quality. I'm looking forward to creative photo work already tried macro, and landscape options. At this price it is irresistible. You won't regret buying this item.
After reading all other reviews I do recommend: At this pro=ice you would be silly not to buy!

Equipment: (I broke my leg so 2 month of research, thought I would share)

Lens alternatives: These all screw onto 18-55mm = 52 screw on lens, work absolutely fine quality.
UV 52mm filter (Neewer)This protects lens and all lens filters below can screw into this rather than actual lens.

Macro -Micro:
Optica 52mm macro (£25)screw on lens for macro close up. Quality exceptional. I use these with Polaroid filters (£12) and they are great. Beats expense of macro lens 40mm f/2.8=£200) or extension tubes. These themselves for quality cost around £100. My Optica and filters cost £30 or their abouts. Works great. In several years I may go for Macro lens but why!

Wide angle: oh dear, Lenses cost over £300, I've got the dosh but can't justify it! I bought Digital King DSW pro 0.7x wide angle 52mm screw on adoption, cost £45, Quality is essential and fine. I went to the coast to try out on landscape and at home with portraits. It does add width (not exceptional width) but works fine and does the job. As lens cost are high it's a great gap filler until time arises for upgrade.

Wide angle fish eye: again screw on 52mm fish eye : Opteka .35xH2 super wide angel fish eye. I've not bought this yet!! £30 approx
Zoom : I'm gonna buy 55-300mm Nikkor lens

Flash: Nikon 600/700/800 & 900 versions are expensive. Alternatives (I can't comment on, not bought)seem to be: Sigma EF-610 £100 approx = to Nikon 900 version apparently. Then try TT 520 flash cost £26 or Electronic speedlight 4 Nikon = £50. I don't know which one I will buy yet but all seem to work from reviews.

Lens hood Nikon 18 - 55 kit lens: alternative uWinka HB-45 cost £5 from Minithebox through Amazon!

LCD screen protector: screen guards membrane pack 6 cheap. Work exceptionally well. Hard version JJC hard LCD 4 Nikon just bought being delivered cost £7. This is an essential piece of protection. Out in field I always have screen in view to review photo's , this protects LCD screen. I've had this on camera some time now and wouldn't be without it, stuck spare membrane on it to prevent scratches. Highly recommended.

Battery grip: Neewer pro battery grip 4 Nikon £16. Alternative battery EN.EL14 compatible cost £19 and works with grip plus 1 original Nikon battery.

Cleaning pen: Hama or I found a polaroid for around £5, These are great discovery and keeps all equipment clean.

Shutter release! wireless ('Shoot ML-L3' 4 Nikon) for you wondering about Nikon make shutter release, don;'t do it, save some of those pennies. The 'shoot' version works well with Nikon D5100 cost under £2 and free deliver. I've used this with partner out and about no complaints.
Also the cable version, hands free, shutter release, the cheaper 'Neewer MC-DC2 remote shutter release' £2.50, works well. I was macro photo testing Orchids and tomato's. It worked fine no problems. It again cost under £2!!

Camera case/ bag: I recommend Lowerpro cirrus TLZ25 fits Nikon D5100 perfectly. may struggle with larger 300mm lens. But I only wanted it for my expensive Nikon and 55mm lens. It will fit Wide angle and macro lens but only one lens at a time case. As a get up and go bag. A very well made item for those outdoor enthusiasts.
Strong sturdy, cosy on inside!

Books: Nkon D5100 Jon Sparks looks good, So does Nikon multi media workshop by Magic lantern comes with 2 CD's. going to buy soon. I got Nikon D5100 field guide by JD Thomas. This helped me immensely get to grips with all D5100 features and has been essential.

Photoshop library: Try Picassa 3 . This is free and is a great computer album . V easy to access and use. but not as a phot shop tool . Try GIMP free image manipulation programme. I downloaded yesterday looks fine but a little complicated apparently it works as good as Photoshop ? but can't comment yet.

lastly a 'lens cap holder'. This keeps lens cap attached to camera. You don't want to be loosing this now do you! Just under £2. You can buy it in pack of 5 for around £2.50. I chose single option at this price I wish I would of too pack of 5, you never know when you might need them, other lens.
28 people found this helpful